Did you mean: 

Sheet set manager generate layout tabs

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
RocksterB
2268 Views, 10 Replies

Sheet set manager generate layout tabs

Just as the subject line says "Can the Sheet Set Manager create layout tabs"? We like our files with multiple layout tabs and I need the SSM to create and link the fields. Can third be done?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
rkmcswain
in reply to: RocksterB

To the best of my knowledge, no. The SSM is a container/organizer of layouts, not a tool to create them.

However, if you set up a template of drawings with a sheet set once, you can use this over and over. Unless your projects are so different each time that this wouldn't work.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 11
RocksterB
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for the feedback and answer! I'll create the Layout pages manually and save a temple .DST file.

Message 4 of 11
Yorx57

Hi RocksterB,

I just wanted to caution you on your last response with the Layout "pages".  If you look up Sheet Set Manager in the AutoCAD help and then goto "To Prepare for Creating a Sheet Set" you will see that number 2 states:

2. Eliminate multiple layout tabs. Each drawing you plan to use in the sheet set should have only one layout to be used as a sheet in the sheet set. This is important for access to sheets by multiple users. Only one sheet in each drawing can be open at a time.

There is also another draw back with having multiple layouts in the same drawing when using sheet sets.  All fields acrossed all layouts will be tied to one value - the value specified in the Sheet Set Manager.  For example, if all layouts are using a common title block, then all fields will have the same value within that drawing.  By seperating the layouts into individual files, then each title block within each drawing file can have its own values assigned.  The Sheet Set Manager then almost becomes your "layouts".

Message 5 of 11
jggerth
in reply to: Yorx57

Whiel the first part is reasonably correct, in that only one person can open a single dwg at a time regardless of the number of layouts in the sheet, the notion that all fields in each layout will reflect the same value is not correct.

Presuming your fields point to Sheet Properties, then each layout will display unique data as defined in the sheet property for that layout (aka sheet) in sheet set manager.

As a general rule, I will use multiple layouts and sheet set manager without any problems.  Separating a site plan into two layouts on one DWG is much more efficient that using seprate dwg files.  

Message 6 of 11
Yorx57
in reply to: jggerth

Ahh yes, I was thinking sheet set fields not sheet fields Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
RocksterB
in reply to: Yorx57

I would normally have had individual sheets with one layout tab, but not with this project. I understand the drawback with working the file this way. We have a couple of sheet files containing the layouts for the sheet.

Message 8 of 11
nicole.trautman

What I can't seem to find an answer to in any form post regarding the sheet set manager is HOW to print multiple layout tabs from a sheet along with other single-layout sheet files in the Sheet Set Manager... Can I do a simple batch plot through the Sheet Set Manager with 3 files that just have one layout tab and 4 files that have 2+ layout tabs? When I do this I get an error message that the multi-layout files can't be published to my PDFs. Does anyone have directions to make the multiple layout tabs show up in the Sheet Set Manager OR a setting I can change for CAD to know to run a plot for each layout tab?

Thanks to anyone who can give clear instructions on this!!! Smiley Wink

I should also probably add FYI - Although I have used CAD for 10 + years, I have not expirimaneted with any LISP stuff or other coding - been scared to try! Smiley Indifferent

I'm on AutoCAD Architecture 2012 for windows...

Message 9 of 11
jggerth
in reply to: nicole.trautman

Uhm.... that is something I do all the time.

My set of drawings may have 5 files, and a dozen layouts -- some are single layouts in a file, others are multiple layouts in the same dwg file.

Have you "Imported the Layouts as Sheets" into SSM?  and have you set up named pagesetups to publish from?

There may be something different about AutoCAD Arch 2012, but in C3D and Vanilla it works fine here.

Message 10 of 11
itbemedg

And to add to what JGerth said, if when you populate the SSM, what I do is under rename and renumber, I number the sheets (and the layout tabs' name) to read the sheet number and the title to whatever title. In my fields category, I point to those two to populate title blocksheet numbers and titles. Works like a charm.

Message 11 of 11
RocksterB
in reply to: itbemedg

Nicole, I used AutoCAD Architecture for years. The firm I'm with now uses straight AutoCAD, hence my use of the Sheet Set Manager. ADT's Project Navigator use is far more robust and superior than using the Sheet Set Manger. Is there a reason you're not using the Project Navigator?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost