SENDING A FILE WITH XREF WITHOUT SENDING THE XREF

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
20350 Views, 6 Replies

SENDING A FILE WITH XREF WITHOUT SENDING THE XREF

Hi guys!

I'm struggling with a file I'm working on because I got to send the file in dwg but it has an X-REF in it. The thing is that I heard you  can send the dwg file WIHTOUT sending the xref , either in binder or as another file completely. Apparently the XREF turns into an isolated block that works as any other block inserted within the file. 

Is there any way to do that or similar to it? Or I must send the XREF I'm using?

Thanks  a lot

Sophia

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

What I do in that scenario is save-as (just a copy for export only) and bind the xref to the dwg you want to send. This maintains your original dwg with the xref. You can right click on the xref you want to include in the dwg you want to send in the manager and bind it to the dwg from there. 

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Neal

Message 3 of 7
owen66

why can't you send both files?

if that's a real limitation, then you are stuck with the Binding option where you bind the xref and it then turns into a block.

"Aah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention...science has it all."
Message 4 of 7
3wood

Use ETRANSMIT and teach your client how to use xref.

This is the best way to communicatem, avoid any missing file problem in the future.

Message 5 of 7
pendean

Bind has two options: the second is an INSERT that if you don't want it to be a block then just explode it.

If by your question are you are trying to figure out a way to neve share the DWG file that is your xref, then you are out of luck.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I'd say the Etransmit tool should work for you. It will send all the xref files with the main file that they are xreffed into. To make it easier on the person that is receiving the file, make sure the main file has the paths all set to relative for the xrefs. That way when they extract the zip file of its contents, the main file and its xref files will be contained in the same folder and the relative paths will still work.

If you're wanting to send the file without all of the xrefs, then I agree with the other guys that binding would be the way to go.

Message 7 of 7
mhmsiyath

very very easy only two step

1. select all

2.make block and send to eveyone without lost xreff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost