7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dominicsp
2581 Views, 7 Replies

Section View not Sectioning....

I am using AutoCAD 2015

I have a 3D model

On layout I created a base view then tried to section it.

Section view is not sectioned

Anyone have any ideas?

Drawing attached

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Yorx57
in reply to: dominicsp

Hi dominicsp,

I've looked at your drawing and at this point I don't know exactly what is going on - but there does appear to some issues in the drawing, specifically dealing with blocks.  The good news is that if I simply select everything and copy it and paste it into a new drawing then the Base Views is working correctly for me.  Also note that your ball valve is made up of 3D objects but is also overlapped with a block of it.

Message 3 of 8
dominicsp
in reply to: Yorx57

I shold have thought of Wblocking it out...

I did the Purge Audit & Recover route but that did not help.

I don't understand what you mean about the ball valve. I tried Quick Select > Block> Name >1 Ā½ ball valve & moved the block - the valve moved & left nothing behind.

Tried exploding the valve block - could only find 1 solid per solid (not a great explaination sorry)

How did you pick that up?

Message 4 of 8
Yorx57

When I opened up the drawing this morning I was not getting the overlap on the ball valve - just the block - so I'm not sure what that was all about yesterday??

Also, if I create another view, leave the default orienation to front, <enter> <enter> (no projection) I have noticed that it will "jump" up.

Anyways, I have tracked down the problem - there is a "rogue" 3D object on your "channel 150x75 01" layer.

Freeze all of your layers except the "channel 150x75 01" layer.

Press ctrl-a to select everything (make sure you use this method! DO NOT just window, it will not pick up on the "hidden" 3D object)

Shift Select the 2 channels to de-select them (this will leave the hidden/rogue 3D object selected)

Press Delete (you should see 1 object deleted)

Unthaw all the Layers

If you go back into paper space you will see that the section view is now working properly Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
dominicsp

I noticed the jumping view - never thought to mention it though...

W-block worked but I went back to the original & tried as you suggested - worked like a charm šŸ˜‰

Can you let me know how you discovered the rouge object?

Thanks 

Message 6 of 8
Yorx57

Actually, it was more accidental than anything! lol!

I originally just windowed everything, ctrl-c to copy, opened a new drawing, ctrl-v to paste and it worked fine.

So I went back to the original trying to find the cause.  Just for really no reason at all,  I did a ctrl-a (instead of windowing), a ctrl-c, new drawing, ctrl-v and found that it would not work (same as your original).

So I then went back to your original, windowed everything again, did a ctrl-c and watched what the command prompt reported - 16 found.

I then cancelled that and did a ctrl-a, ctrl-c and again watched what the command prompt reported - 17 found, so at this point I knew the ctrl-a was picking up on an extra object somewhere - which was obviously causing the problem as windowing, copying worked (which was not picking up on the extra object).

Now, it was just a matter of trying to find where the extra object was - I opened up the properities palette, and started running through all of your layers, one by one, doing a ctrl-a and watching how many items the properities palette was reporting versus what was on the screen.  When I got to your channel layer - 2 objects on screen and properities palette was reporting 3 - so I knew that's where it was, de-selected the the channels, and properities palette was reporting  1 3D object - so that's how I knew it was a 3D object.

As to what and where that object is - I have no idea!

Message 7 of 8
dominicsp

Aha

You know far more than I do šŸ™‚

I would never have thought of that however I am the guy who never realised that ^A was different from windowing all.

Thanks for the explanation - I really appreciate the time & trouble

Message 8 of 8
anderson51

I am having this issue with 2018.

How does one find the "Rogue" 3D object?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost