Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
265 Views, 7 Replies

Scale

How can I find out what scale the Autocad drawing is in, so when I scale the actual hard copy drawing I know what scale to use for say 1"

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ampster401
in reply to: Anonymous

While the Insert Units variable might give a clue (it would be set to Inches or metric) the only way I know is to List or dimension something within the dwg and compare that number to a known dimension.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ampster401

If you use the UNITS command you can see the settings for the drawing.
Message 4 of 8
jggerth

if you're using paperspace and viewports, the viewport annoscale control will tell you that.  or check the properties of the viewport.

Message 5 of 8
zalant

I second ampster's suggestion of dimensioning or listing a drawing object for which you know the real-world dimensions. Using the LIST command is good, because the actual drawn units will be shown, whereas with dimensions, you've got to make sure that there isn't some scale factor applied within the dimension style, which would alter the result shown in a dimension.

It is common practice that objects drawn on the Model tab are done using real-world values. Scaling is typically applied when setting up viewports on layout tabs, and you can check that out by examining the Properties of the viewport objects, themselves. 

Please let us know here whether you've got things figured out now for your drawing, or if we can be of further help.

Zac Travis
Message 6 of 8
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
If you use the UNITS command you can see the settings for the drawing.

Try -dwgunits rather than units.

Read the command line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Ok, it says (1) but how do I know what to use to scale the hard copy of the drawing?
This was drawn 1-1 and when I go to print it says 1"=12.49 units

[cid:image002.png@01CFC2C6.A9341670]
Message 8 of 8
kasperwuyts

If it says that in print, then that is your scale. If your drawing uses inches as the base unit, that means 1"=12.49" is your scale.

I see you tried to upload an image, I can't see it, but I'm going to take a leap here and guess :
- You are printing directly from model space
- You have the 'fit to paper' checkbox checked in the Plot dialogue box (thats the 'official' name we give to the window with print settings). Having that box checked means the scaling options are greyed out. After unchecking it, right where it says 12.49 you should be able to put in a new value.

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost