AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

fredrivardABL
Message 1 of 40 (22,966 Views)
Accepted Solution

Scale command message: Extremely small scale factor ignored

22966 Views, 39 Replies
04-13-2012 01:05 PM

I've seen archived posts regarding this issue, but none were answered or relevant., although I have to admit I feel their pain.

I have just updated to Autocad 2013. While working on existing drawings (previously created in V2012), I am having issues with the SCALE command.  Most times, but not always, when I add a line or block, with a base point on an existing line or object and try to scale it, I get an "extremely small scale factor ignored" message, although I did not get a chance to enter a scale factor.  While it appears most times, but not always, if I draw a new line in empty space on that same drawing, I am able to use the SCALE command without problems.  I also have the same issue when trying to scale an existing line or block, most times but not always.

Here is a copy of the command line while I am trying to make it work:

----------

Command: l

LINE

Specify first point:

Specify next point or [Undo]: 100

Specify next point or [Undo]:

Command: sc

SCALE

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects:

Specify base point:

Specify scale factor or [Copy/Reference]:

Extremely small scale factor ignored.

Command:

SCALE

Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 1 found

Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 1 found, 2 total

Select objects:

Specify base point:

Specify scale factor or [Copy/Reference]:

Extremely small scale factor ignored.

--------------

If you notice, it does not give me the chance to enter a scale factor.  As soon as I pick the base point, it skips over to the error message, yet displays the scale factor prompt with a blank factor.  I'm experiencing this issue on various files (not all but most), so I don't think it is a corrupt file.

Any idea why I get this and if I can correct it?

Thanks

FR

I have been suffering this problem for some time and thanks to you all, it is solved.

I scale using 'right click - reference' and the small scale factor always got in the way.  I set the origin to the start of my object using ucs-origin, turned off the snap, select the objects, set base to 0,0, right-click - reference, base at 0,0, turn on snap and it works.

Two years or more of bloody stress.  I have spent an hour to get to this point  and from reading the above, its not an uncommon fault.  I love AutoCAD and have been a subscriber for many years so I am surprised that the design-team haven't solved this problem.  Give me the code; I'll fix it.

Thanks for the help

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 40 (22,948 Views)

Re: Scale command message: Extremely small scale factor ignored

04-13-2012 11:28 PM in reply to: fredrivardABL

Hi,

before you can input a value for the scalefactor AutoCAD looks to the cursor and evaluates the scalefactor by the distance between scale-basepoint and current cursor-position. If you have e.g. osnap turned on (and ENDPOINT is active) it may snap to the startpoint of the line (what was also your scale-base) and that results in a scalefactor = 0.0 and that's not allowed.

Try next time this issue occurs to switch off OSNAP for the second point.

HTH, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Active Contributor
airpro_chris
Message 3 of 40 (22,886 Views)

04-19-2012 03:43 PM in reply to: fredrivardABL

FR, we stumbled upon this issue the other day as well and you don't need to turn off OSNAP to get around this - provided you are using F12 Dynamic Input. It seems the Dynamic Input box takes precedence over OSNAP or command line.

HTH,

Chris.

Active Contributor
NicholasWard
Message 4 of 40 (22,769 Views)

04-29-2012 08:10 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

alfred.neswadba wrote:

...If you have e.g. osnap turned on (and ENDPOINT is active) it may snap to the startpoint of the line (what was also your scale-base) and that results in a scalefactor = 0.0 and that's not allowed.

Try next time this issue occurs to switch off OSNAP for the second point.

HTH, - alfred -

Not really an option when most people are using scale (yours truly included), as they'll often need OSNAP turned on to select the base point. The problem is that AutoCAD is now skipping the old step of waiting for user input before proceding with the command.

This utterly pointless upgrade to the scale command has rendered it essentially useless. It still works on some objects in my drawings, but it's random whether the working objects are in converted 2012 drawings, new 2013 drawings, are new objects, old objects, lines, circles, blocks, etc. 

Message 5 of 40 (22,765 Views)

04-29-2012 10:00 PM in reply to: NicholasWard

Hi,

>> Not really an option

Excuse me, I wrote "try it the next time the issue occurs", I didn't write "you don't have to use OSNAP forever".

I just want the OP to see, that he may have a problem taht OSNAP snaps to the scale-base-point.

Sorry that it was not to understand in that way I mentioned.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Active Contributor
NicholasWard
Message 6 of 40 (22,764 Views)

04-29-2012 10:16 PM in reply to: fredrivardABL

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood. Still doesn't solve the problem, but yes it would show where the problem lies.

Message 7 of 40 (22,748 Views)

04-30-2012 09:40 AM in reply to: NicholasWard

Thanks for the replies, although none of the proposed solution resolve the issue.

-The suggestion of turning on Dynamic input does not seem to have any effect to prevent/resolve this issue.  Perhaps I have a setting that is setup differently, or the scale issue you are/were experiencing is different.  I will keep experimenting with this option with various settings, although so far none has provided the expected result.

-The option of turning of O-snap does make it work, but it is pointless since the intent is to scale objects from a specific base point.  Turning of O-snap defeats that purpose.  I might as well pick a point in empty space and get the same result.  Also, I am not convinced that this is the problem, since if you run the scale command on a line where the scale command does work, and either pick the initial base point, or enter 0, or negative digits at the "specify scale factor" prompt, Autocad returns a prompt stating "Value must be positive and non-zero".  My theory is, if the issue is caused by an automatic "snap" of the base point, I should receive the same message,  in lieu of the "Extremely small scale factor ignored message".

Any other suggestions is appreciate, otherwise I'll keep trying to figure a way around, or preferably out of, this issue.  Nick, it does sounds like you have experienced (or are experiencing) the same problem.

levi.connolly
Message 8 of 40 (22,719 Views)

05-01-2012 06:56 AM in reply to: fredrivardABL

I've ran into the same problem. It does not happen every time but enough to be annoying. Instead of turning  snap off I use the snap override by typing in the abbreviation of the snap I need to scale from (end , cen, mid, ins).  another way to access snap overrides is to hold shift and right click, then select from the menu......... It does not work every time but enough to helpful....

Active Contributor
NicholasWard
Message 9 of 40 (22,688 Views)

05-01-2012 05:54 PM in reply to: levi.connolly

The other (annoying and not always practical) solution I've resorted to is typing in the reference point when prompted, rather than clicking it. Provided the cursor is nowhere near the ref point when it's selected, it works fine. Of course, it only works for when you know the coordinates, but at least I can scale objects until Autodesk gets their act together on this one.

Message 10 of 40 (22,638 Views)

05-05-2012 10:48 AM in reply to: fredrivardABL

Just upgraded to 2013 and am running into this problem as well.  To work around (provided by others in this thread) I accomplished it by turning off OSNAP and designating the base point with the ENDpoint.  After that it worked out fine.  Thanks to those who provided a work-around.:smileyvery-happy:

Autodesk Factory Design Premium 2012
HP Z 400 XEON Quad Core 3.06 ghz
14 GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro 2000
Twin 22's widescreen
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!