Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale and Unit Problems

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
864 Views, 5 Replies

Scale and Unit Problems

So I recently started working at a production plant where I was tasked with drawing the blueprints for a large facility. There was already a partial drawing that I built upon finally getting the whole plant. I don't have much experience with AutoCAD btw. So the drawing I worked from was already using units of feet and inches, so wherever I moved my cursor, the coordinates are given in feet and inches and from my research it seems like AutoCAD tends to be unitless when in Model Space. The Model Space itself is far too big, the farthest extent on the x-axis is over 1.5E+7' and the y-axis is just as far. So one question is how to basically make the Model Space a more manageable size. Also when I try to plot the entire drawing, using a plotter that uses 24" x 36" paper I cannot seem to utilize any appropriate scale. If I set it to 1 inch is equal to 10 units, which i would assume would be 1" is equal to 10', the plot preview is a miniscule section of the bottom left corner of the page. Any assistance is greatly appreciated and I can elaborate if need be. Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Basic rules:
1. In modelspace, you draw at 1:1 scale. Never anything else. You are no longer drawings on a piece of paper, there is no need to scale. May also be why you can't plot correctly.
2. AutoCAD is not truly 'unitless', you have to defien what a unit is before drawing. In your case it woudl appear you set 1unit=1inch.
3. To plot your model on a 24x36 paper, you ought to switch over to a Layout tab, use PAGESETUP command to define the 24x36 plot parameters, insert your 24x36 titleblock at 1:1 scale, then start MVIEW command to draw a viewport. This viewport is a "window" that looks at your modelspace 1:1 drawing. You now set the viewport to a scale that will enable you to fit it all (or the aprts you want) on a 24x36 titleblock.

Have you gone as far as #3 above yet?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I have used the Layout tab, I entered LAYOUTWIZARD while in the Model Space. Created the Name, View Selected the correct plotter Set the paper size to ARCH D or 24x36, which drawing units of inches Selected a landscape view Chose Architectural Title Block. dwg as a Block Selected Single Viewport setup, Viewport scale of 1:1 Selected a location of the bulk of the paper space with a slight border Hit Finish and this is all I got.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Well my picture wont attached but all I'm seeing is a small corner of one of the rooms, like it is zoomed in very close, with no title block either.
Message 6 of 6
scot-65

Once the viewport is set up, show the toolbar "Layout" or in the ribbon,

double-click to activate the viewport and play with the scale as shown below...

5399e4d7.gif

???

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost