Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

saveall problem

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dkelner-enovation
832 Views, 7 Replies

saveall problem

i have autocad 2014. My normal scenerio envolves me having about 10 files open at a time. I right click on a tab and select "saveall". I wait until no witness of activity, hoping all saves are done. Then right click the tabs and select "closeall". A dialog opens asking if i want to save the file. With many tabs open i have to wait. select yes. wait select yes. etc. My reasoning is: if the saveall worked properly, then by selecting closeall as the very next command, the drawings should close without asking to save.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Yorx57
in reply to: dkelner-enovation

It sounds like your guessing whether or not all files have been saved before doing a "close all" - the easy way to tell is simply look at the file names on your tabs - if the drawing name is followed by an asterik, the drawing file according to AutoCad has changed.  If you do a save, the asterik will disappear until a change is made that is deemed by AutoCad to require, or at least ask you before closing, if you would like to save it.  If you do a "close all" before all drawings have been saved, then AutoCad will pop up the dialog.

I understand your logic, but I don't believe that there is any mechanism within AutoCad to "flag" a file as marked to be "saved".  Therefore, doing a "close all" before all files that have been marked as "dirty" have been saved (regardless of how the save was intiated) will initate the pop dialog box.

Message 3 of 8
rkmcswain
in reply to: Yorx57

Yorx57 wrote:

...the easy way to tell is simply look at the file names on your tabs - if the drawing name is followed by an asterik, the drawing file according to AutoCad has changed.

That is how it's designed, but unfortunately it's not true. There is a bug that (under the right circumstances) will cause the asterisk to appear on the tabs of saved drawings (where DBMOD = 0).  DBMOD is the 'flag' I think you're talking about. When it's 0, the drawing in memory matches the drawing on disk. 

So anyway, you cannot depend on the asterisk.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 8

All the astrik go away. I can pretty much tell when it "should " have saved. All astriks go away. (I walked away for a break and left it 5 minutes one time.) But the issue is that when i select close all, the astrik appears for the current shown tag and asks user if you want to save, then closes. it repeats this for every open tab until close all is complete. I should be able to do these two commands for all tabs and be happy. Instead i have to babysit each tab.

Message 5 of 8
Yorx57
in reply to: dkelner-enovation

I just tried it (multiple times and using different tabs) on mine and everything is working fine.  However, I am on 2015 with SP2 installed, so it possibly could be a 2014 glitch.  I don't have 2014 unfortunately to test it on that version, however there are many user on this forum that are using it - hopefully someone with a 2014 version could test it and confirm if it is a bug or not.

Message 6 of 8

I know that this is an old post, but it is not marked as solved and I am having the same problem. 

Multiple tabs open, right click saveall. Wait for the command to complete, right click closeall. Still have to manually save each file. 

FWIW - I Even if i control+S to save a drawing, and then close it, i still get the prompt to save the drawing again.

I am on ACAD MEP 2019 all updates. This is a fresh install of windows and Autodesk Design suite on a new computer.

Message 7 of 8
dseaton
in reply to: jsmithQZ4PL

me too on 2019 lt

Message 8 of 8
RobDraw
in reply to: dseaton

As someone suggested earlier, after the saveall command look at the drawing tabs to see if the asterisk is there. If it is on, then the drawing(s) has not been saved.

Also, when doing the closeall command. say no to each drawing that prompts you to save. Then check the command line history for any errors during the previous save command. there should be a message as to why the drawing was not saved.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost