Did you mean: 

Same block with multiple names

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Retirement_Bound
7641 Views, 14 Replies

Same block with multiple names

I have several architects who use VectorWorks that then export their electrical to me in a dwg format.  I then use a program that makes intelligent devices from their blocks.  The problem is that if there are 300 receptacles that are exactly the same, there is be 300 different block names for then such as group_205-1.  In the past I just individually insert my intelligent block over each one of their blocks.  But Now I am wondering if there is a way to select all the bocks and give them the same name and not have them all disappear because autocad sees them as duplicates.

I tried blockreplace, but it is one at a time and it gets rid of the old block.  I then downloaded a trial of mblockreplace.vlx.  However, it seems to also make all the blocks disappear.  Any other ideas on how to give the blocks the same name in a multi-select fashion without them all disappearing afterwards?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: Retirement_Bound

You can't "give them all the same name", you have to replace all of them with one block.

Disappear how? Are you using Dynamic blocks or Annotative blocks and they are not for example? Shed more light on the topic please.
Message 3 of 15
nestly2
in reply to: pendean

Perhaps the "disappearing block" is because of basepoint location not within the geometry?

Message 4 of 15
3wood

Please download updated MBLOCKREPLACE.vlx from here.

An option has been added to select either deleting or retaining the original blocks.

Message 5 of 15
Retirement_Bound
in reply to: pendean

If I have two drawings open and and you try to copy a block named "table" and paste it into the other drawing, but there is already a block called "table", autocad won't paste the block because there is already a block with that name.

That is what I believe is happening with these two commands. It seems to erase all but one instance of the block as autocad sees them as duplicate blocks instead of multiple instances of the same block.

I need all if the block I select to be multiple instances of a single block name. Since they really are all the same blocks, just different names.
Message 6 of 15

Here is the architects drawings with three receptacles that are obviously originally the same block in Vectorworks.  If I select the block with the number 1 above it, the properties would name it Group-795-1, the second is Group-796-1, and the 3rd is Group-850-1.  I want to change receptacle 1 and 2 block to the same name as 3 or Group-850-1.  When I use your program I select receptacle 1 and 2 and then hit enter where it ask me to pick up a new block in which I select 3.  I also say don't delete the originals.  The only thing that happens is the you create 2 copies of Group-850-1 over the existing receptacle 3.  What I was execting was receptacle 1 and 2 name would get changed to Group-850-1, but nothing happens to receptacle 1 and 2.  Also I could easily have just copied and paste receptacle 3 over itself as many times as I wanted without loading an app.  I hope this explains what I am trying to do.

Capture.JPG

Message 7 of 15
3wood

Can you upload a sample dwg so we can test on it? It works well on my computer.

Message 8 of 15

Again, this is an export DWG from VectorWorks.  Look at the receptacles in the play room.  I opened all the blocks and then entered INSBASE and they are all at 0,0,0 so that take away the idea of different insert base locations.

Message 9 of 15
Retirement_Bound
in reply to: 3wood

I did note that the blockreplace command in express tools does the same thing.  Is it possible that when it replaces all the blocks with the same name as the selected, it also gives it the same insertion point in the drawing?

Message 10 of 15
3wood

@Retirement_Bound wrote:

Again, this is an export DWG from VectorWorks.  Look at the receptacles in the play room.  I opened all the blocks and then entered INSBASE and they are all at 0,0,0 so that take away the idea of different insert base locations.

If their insertion points are all at 0,0, it is very hard to replace them in AutoCAD. One way I can image is explode all blocks, and use a routine to create a block base on the selection and search in the drawing for same group of objects and replace them with the block. But I didn't find such routine.

You may need go back to Vector Works and check the export settings, there may be a setting to allow you decide either use 0,0 as block insertion point or not - just my guess.

Message 11 of 15
pendean

All blocks must have the exact identical insertion point and insertion point location for any block replace routine to work.
Otherwise you are doomed to replace each one manually.

Time for you to work with your Vectorworks user to find a compromise.
Message 12 of 15
Retirement_Bound
in reply to: 3wood

Ok, with everyones help I now understand the problem. Every block might look the same, but they are all different in the following ways:

1) Every receptacle block reference when you look at the properites are all inserted at 0,0,0

2) Every block definition when you BEDIT is located at a different location so that they look like they are in the correct location of the drawing.

3) Each block reference has a rotatin of 0, but in each block definition they actually change the rotation of the block.

So lI see now why they all over lay the selected block replacement as every block is inserted at 0,0 and so when I replace it with the new block, it is still inserted at 0,0 but the new block definition is at the location of the new block.

I do have a multi-step process I can use and might save me some time: 

There is another lisp program out there called ChangeBlockBasePointV1-4.lsp where you can run the command CBPR.  then one at a time I can quickly select everyone receptacle facing straight up and change the insertion point to the bottom left leg of the receptacle.  It will redefine the block and keep it in the same location, but put the insertion point at the new location.  Once I do that I can then use the mblockreplace app for all of those blocks.  Wish there was some way of putting these two apps together into one continuous multi select, but for the time I will do it this way and see if I can move faster.

Message 13 of 15
jggerth1

It might be worthwhile to download the trial version of vectorworks, and experiment with the conversion options that program has.  Just because your architects are exporting to an awkward-to-deal-with drawing does not mean that's the only way vectorworks will handle it.   Possibly there's a better export method or options that can be used to get a more workable drawing.

Message 14 of 15

I have the same issue with my file.  

I have an exported to Autocad from Revit file. All of the Similar type blocks have similar names with one portion of the name different. 

ie. Block 1: Rectangular Mullion - Rectangular Mullion 7_5_ x 2_5_-10290233-Building 1 Third Floor Signage Plan 
Block 2: Rectangular Mullion - Rectangular Mullion 7_5_ x 2_5_-10292150-Building 1 Third Floor Signage Plan. 
Green 
is Similar andRedis different portion of block name.

I would like to be able to select all the blocks using a portion of the name. 

Thank You for any help given..

Message 15 of 15

I went back to the architect and told them of the problem and they were able to fix it for me.  Before they were using “groups” which are just a way of having a few different lines/text tied together (no insertion point). In the new way they use “symbols” which have an insertion point that you can establish when you create the symbol.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost