Active Contributor
Peterstair
Message 1 of 9 (480 Views)
Accepted Solution

Rough Text issue

480 Views, 8 Replies
06-25-2012 07:26 PM

Hi,

I am having difficulty with the text in my drawings. When writing dtext or dimensions on my drawings in modelspace the text appears rough/rugged in both model space and layout space. I am using True Type (Arial) as the font. I've read older posts where people have suggested checking in Properties that the text is really laying down at 0 in the Z plane which it is. Some say using True Type is the problem, but just last week I was doing what seemed to be the same operation and I had no problems at all.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.....

Thanks,

Peter

Mentor
grimline
Message 2 of 9 (476 Views)

Re: Rough Text issue

06-25-2012 07:49 PM in reply to: Peterstair

How about if you attach a cleaned version of the drawing with just the font? Then maybe we can take a look and see.

Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2015
Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
*Pro
nestly
Message 3 of 9 (472 Views)

06-25-2012 08:25 PM in reply to: grimline

TrueType fonts only show fully smoothed (anti-aliasing) :

- In 2D Wireframe

-when the view is perpendicular XY plane of the Text

-at 0 elevation (relative to the current UCS)

-when the "target" for the View is 0 Elevation

If any of the above are not true, the anti-aliasing is disabled and TrueType Text is not "smoothed"

Active Contributor
Peterstair
Message 4 of 9 (445 Views)

06-27-2012 06:22 AM in reply to: nestly

Okay,

I am attaching a file of the drawing. I'll start over here and say that my desire is to be able to take 3D renderings and dimension, label, mleader, etc. them to be printed out as architectural drawings for the client. In the simplified drawing I attached, I used SOLPROF to create the drawings I have in paperspace. I acknowledge that the dimensions are not on the same plane as the desired points on the 3D model when you look at the whole picture in model space. I would like to be able to print these drawings with clean fonts.

As a side question, when I try to preview the layout to be printed I am not able to zoom into the preview beyond the paper edges so I can see the quality of the print. The window option doesn't allow me closer either. Is there a way to zoom in closer?

Thanks,

Peter

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 5 of 9 (439 Views)

06-27-2012 07:23 AM in reply to: Peterstair

You can change the font to shx.

or move the dims to paper space

or create a viewport on top of the viewport, freeze the dims layer in one, change the other to 2D visual styles with everything frozen but dimensions layer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
Active Contributor
dlipscombe
Message 6 of 9 (436 Views)

06-27-2012 07:33 AM in reply to: Peterstair

You have your viewport set to conceptual, thats what is effecting your text when using true type text, only displays correctly in 2D Wireframe. You could always dimension outside of the viewport so the text would not be effected.

*Pro
nestly
Message 7 of 9 (419 Views)

06-27-2012 03:23 PM in reply to: dlipscombe

The the text is in a view using Conceptual Visual Style, and the Target of the view is non-zero.  Both of these have to be remedied before the TrueType text will display smooth.

If displaying a 3D visual style is something you need, then the previous suggestions of placing the dimensions/text in PaperSpace, or switching to an SHX font are your only real options.

RoughText.jpg

Active Contributor
Peterstair
Message 8 of 9 (416 Views)

06-27-2012 06:40 PM in reply to: Peterstair

I think I'm finally getting the jist of what my problem has been through all of your responses.  I've learned a lot concerning this matter. Thank you all for your time.

Peter

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 9 of 9 (86 Views)

05-21-2014 09:10 AM in reply to: nestly
nestly wrote:

TrueType fonts only show fully smoothed (anti-aliasing) :

- In 2D Wireframe

-when the view is perpendicular XY plane of the Text

-at 0 elevation (relative to the current UCS)

-when the "target" for the View is 0 Elevation

If any of the above are not true, the anti-aliasing is disabled and TrueType Text is not "smoothed"

^^^^^
Do you think this an as-designed feature, or a programming mistake?

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.