Did you mean: 

Resolution when zooming out or plotting

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
954 Views, 8 Replies

Resolution when zooming out or plotting

Hi everyone.

I learned only basic AutoCAD in school years ago, and now have started back with it as I am building a house.  I have remembered lots, but my lots is really really basic compared to what most of you are capable of!

I have one drawing in particular built, showing my exterior of the house.  I am using it for myself and the wife to decide on colors, looks, exterior features, etc.  I understand the color on screen vs real life objects are different, and we have that sorted, but more for the contrast of trim, window accents and grills.

Problem is, I am using it on work computers, as colleagues use the software and I have access to it.  I am using LG 27" monitors, NVDIA graphics with 1920 x 1080 display.  My drawing shows my detail, such as grills (which are only 5/8" thick perfectly when I zoom in, but when I am zoomed to extents (showing entire house front), the resolution drops off.

Through my research, Civil 3D has a "Levelofdetail" command.  Seems this is the solution for most people, but for AutoCAD 2014 which I am using, I can't find that, or similar option.

Can anyone assist with this problem?

I am not sure what other details I can include, but I'll be standing waiting for the experts to chime in! (and novices too!)

Thanks everyone!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Any ideas at all?
Message 3 of 9
ampster401

don't know if this will help or not.  Type viewres on the command line and set it to 20000

HTH

Message 4 of 9
tcorey

LEVELOFDETAIL is a Civil 3D setting that changes the display of surface models as you zoom in and out. It affects no other objects and is not available in vanilla AutoCAD.

In AutoCAD, take a look at VISUALSTYLES command.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 9
jggerth

typically a monitor will display resolution at 72 pixels / inch.  When the spaces between the real world lines is less than that one screen, it's impossible for the monitor to display them.  So all you'll see of the highly detailed grill when zoomed out is going to be a pixel or two.

LevelofDetail is a C3D thing only, and is intended to help minimize the amount of information that si being calculated/displayed when one zooms out.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

Thanks for the ideas, will try them out!

Not sure what my monitor is good for in terms of ppi, but will check. Are there any solutions if it is just a monitor problem? Video cards maybe?
Message 7 of 9
jggerth

There's not 'solution', because it's not a problem that can be solved.  Your trying to display a 40' building on a 24" wide screen -- a 5/8" distance in never going to be legible.  One of the reasons there's a zoom command.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/plain;" /> body { font-family: "Calibri","Slate Pro","sans-serif"; color:#262626 }
That makes sense. Thanks for being straight about it!
So the it comes to question, is it possible to plot it such that it shows? Or is that the same scenario? 

Trenton
Message 9 of 9
jggerth

Well, the answer to that is ''maybe''.  How big is the sheet of paper, how large an area, how fat a line, and at what scale.

If you've got a architectural scale handy, look at the inch marks, and decide if any of them are large enough to accomodate what you need.  At a guess, 1"=1'-0" would probably work, but to show a 40' long structre, you'll need paper greater than 40 inches.  If you need to plot at 1/8"=1'-0" scale, then all you see is a overlapping lines   (actually, they'd be 0.0065 inches apart -- pretty darn tight IMO)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost