Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regions & XLines - no more snapping & trimming?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
lovecraft
1539 Views, 11 Replies

Regions & XLines - no more snapping & trimming?

Anybody know what's up with this?  My installation of ACAD 2015 will not allow me to trim with or snap to construction lines or regions, using an intersection snap setting for snapping to.  Trim using these entities is completely disabled now, as it never was before with any other release I've used for the past 10-12 years.  Also, I can no longer EXTEND to these entities, and when trimming with the FENCE option, ORTHO becomes disabled which is sometimes inconvenient when I'm trying to fence-trim in a congested area of the drawing.  Does anyone know what's happened here?  Collateral damage caused by new program code, or what exactly?  Jeeeezzz.....

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond if you wish..

LC  Smiley Frustrated

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
GrantsPirate
in reply to: lovecraft

I can extend and trim to xlines and regions in 2015.  I do see the ortho being overridden when trimming with fence. I haven't checked in 2014 to verify that it stayed on in that version.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 3 of 12
GrantsPirate

I can extend and trim to xlines and regions in 2015.  I do see the ortho being overridden when trimming with fence. I haven't checked in 2014 to verify that it stayed on in that version.

I can snap to intersections of xlines, lines and xlines, etc.

SP1 fixed a problem where 2015 couldn't snap to hatches and I have SP1 installed, maybe that will fix that problem as well.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 4 of 12
nestly2

No problem here.   Perhaps the objects are non-planar and the Projection Mode (PROJMODE) has been changed from the default value of "1"

Message 5 of 12
lovecraft
in reply to: nestly2

Thanks to both of you for chiming in.  PROJMODE set to "1", objects are definitely in the proper plane.  Believe me, I check that very carefully, and if I don't see the osnap icon appearing, I can tell, as you say, Nestly, that at least one of the objects I'm trying to snap to is probably non-planar.  I have 3 Lisp macros that show me either an "X", "Y", or "Z" delta from origin, and, I typically set my LUPREC to the maximum 8 decimal points for this type of check, because, as you know, if anything is even .00000001 units away from the plane you're working on, then fahgeddahboutit.

So, G.P., somebody else noticed the ORTHO disabling on fence trim.  It definitely did not behave this way in 2014 and 2015 took me by surprise by doing so.  Thanks again, comrades.  Today I was upgraded to "mentor" in the forum, a badge I wear proudly now, but does it only reflect volume of messages posted or am I truly deserving.  What is used as a benchmark?

LC  Robot Very Happy

Message 6 of 12
nestly2

Can you attach a sample drawing?  For me, I've always been able to TRIM/EXTEND to non-planar objects (assuming PROJMODE allows it) however intersection OSNAP does not work if the intersection is merely a projection, rather than an actual intersection.  In such cases, I use APPARENT INTERSECTION OSnap, which will snap to the projected Z intersection of whichever object is selected first.

Message 7 of 12
nrz13
in reply to: GrantsPirate

The first thing that came to mind for me is it sounds a lot like the bug affecting some installs where snapping to the intersection of hatches has been lost in 2015.  We have two identical machines running 2015 in our office but one of them (mine) can't snap to the intersection of hatches while the other install can.  I reset, reinstalled, installed both service packs, but there is no fix for this bug yet for me.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 8 of 12

Hello fellows,

I have a simmilar problem with regions, the interceptions are not recognized by autocad. I have reported that to Autodesk suport and the answer I've got is that this occurs when you are working at large coordenates. They have suggested me to bring the geometry under 10,000 units from 0,0 point. Well, I was surprised with this by encountering that there are other problemes related to working in 'large' coordenates. I am wondering that this amount is far to small for the projects I have worked with previously and have never seen such a thing. I might be missing something, but I beleive that this didn't use to happen and this explanation is confusing, at different pages the website gives different numbers of coordenates in which it's 'safe' to work.
Here is the explanation they have sent me:
http://www.cadalyst.com/aec/tip-autocad039s-big-problem-5787
Although it's old they said it still valid. But I am confused because this is very too small area to work in and the workarrounds are unpractical.

I have looked up at the problem and found this error page:
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Errors-...
It gives us that AutoCAD can just handle information within 100,000 units. But as you can see in the attached file I've set up the limits for 8,000 units to each side and it works 'as expected' by the explanation in the first link. Regions can not be trim or extend limits outside the area in 2015 version.

I am really scared as there are other problems related to large coordenates. I wonder if I am missing something out, for instance, different coordenate systems... but if I am not wrong all 'coordenates' mean in AutoCAD is 'units', so I guess it will always count the same way.

Please some help.. I don't want to believe that this is true  Woman Sad

Message 9 of 12
lovecraft
in reply to: RenataAntunes

I wasn't sure from your post if you are using AutoCAD only or a vertical Autodesk product for say, civil type work with which I am completely unfamiliar.  I did read the information in those links you provided and must say that the workarounds seem ridiculous.  Can you place your origin (create a temporary UCS and, I would give it a name for future retrieval) near the objects you are working on?  Personally, I would do that rather than move the objects, as this seems by far the easier method.  And, afterward you can re-establish the original origin if needed.

My installation of AutoCAD 2015 has presented several challenges over the last few months and some behavior remains that I find frustrating.  Oddly enough, though, my initial problems with object snaps to regions and xlines and the trimming and extending issues have, for the most part disappeared.  Have you installed either of the service packs?  I have both installed to examine what has changed and some of the issues, particularly regarding UCS use have been addressed.  Other issues, of course, remain and workarounds are just a fact of life that need to be developed as all of us try to move forward.

Good luck to you and to the other posters, I hope this discussion continues and reveals more solutions whenever possible.

LC  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
RenataAntunes

Hello lovecraft,

Thank you for your reply. I was talking about AutoCAD only. But I have just tried an in the verticals the same thing happens, but the difference is that the comand works at the same range 8000x8000 for the current unit. As plane AutoCAD is unitless in model space it will always work at the range of the drawing units, but if you are working in a vertical say in Meters and shift to Milimitters the same area of drawing where it was working will no longer work, the workable area will get shrinked because your Square of 8000x8000 now has 800000x800000.
Your idea of new UCS seems clever but I tried it and it doesn't work. The program shifts the coordenates but the range where the function will work continues related to the origial UCS. I wonder whether all the other problems related with 'large' coordenates where dragged along...
I did get an oficial answer from Autodesk suport and the answer is: yes, issues of this kind are happening at lower numbers and this is now in developers hands. I do have all SP. but this is still to be covered.

Good luck to everybody and it will be helpfull sharing eventual workarrounds that we can figure out Cat Wink

Message 11 of 12

Estou com o mesmo problema. Entrei em contato com a autodesk e eles informaram o mesmo que você descreveu. Eu esperava que a autodesk fizesse uma atualização/correção deste problema, mas até hoje ainda não fizeram (eu utilizo o autocad 2015). Não sei se nas versões mais atuais este problema permanece. Mesmo que nas versões mais recentes este erro tenha sido corrigido, creio que na versão 2015 a autodesk não terá interesse em corrigir. É muito ruim trabalhar com o autocad desta maneira... O region é um comando que utilizo muito.

Message 12 of 12

Olá Carlos. Tentei com o 2018 e parece estar resolvido. 

(I've tried with 2018 version and it seems to be solved).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost