Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referenced text that formats and wraps like an mtext entity

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tmcmannis
631 Views, 8 Replies

Referenced text that formats and wraps like an mtext entity

Hi Everyone. So my question is this. I have a set of notes for a given jurisdiction that I need to show on mumltiple layout tabs within the same file. However, the notes need to change their width, number of columns, height, etc. for each layout tab to work with viewports and other drawing elements within each tab. My question is this- is there way using fields, blocks, rtext, something that will allow me to create one master copy of the note and basically have instances of the note on those other tabs that I can adjust the wrapping, height, columns etc.? I could just create a bunck of copies of the same note, but then if we get a comment from an AHJ about the notes, we need to make sure the comment is addressed in each instance of the note instead of just one master note. Is there way to do what Im asking, or is the technology just not there yet? Thanks.

-Tristan

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jay_B
in reply to: tmcmannis

Here's a couple of related threads I've seen that might have an approach that works for you.
These are in the C3d forum but AutoCad discussions.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Construction-Notes/m-p/3702210/highlight/true#M189441

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Update-Notes-and-Legend-on-every-sheet/m-p/3946841/hi...
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 9
dmfrazier

This might duplicate a suggestion in one of Jay_B's referenced threads - I didn't read through them thoroughly - but I would suggest something I've implemented here: to create a dynamic block with each possible variation of the notes' configuration as a visiblity state.  This is essentially "creating a bunch of copies of the same note", but it still makes  changes easier.  (In my case, there are only two versions of the notes, a "portrait" and a "landscape".)

Message 4 of 9
jggerth1

Check the Word2Cad application from DotSoft -- if i remember correctly, that can essentially 'xref' in a word document, letting you have a master in .doc format, and multiple instances on multiple drawings.

Message 5 of 9
TerryDotson
in reply to: jggerth1

Thanks for the mention.  Word2CAD is great for linking in lengthy documents, but during creation it's width is fixed.  You can of course change the style and click update to quickly change the width, but it has to wake up Word to retrieve the document, etc.

An approach to consider for multiple short notes would be ToolPac's Linked Mtext, which lets you create mtext objects or link by picking an existing object and a RTF file.  The user can keep notes in RTF format, easily edit them in Word and the next time the drawing is opened (or on demand) the mtext will change to reflect the external files contents.  The width of the mtext won't change, only it's contents.

Message 6 of 9
jggerth1
in reply to: TerryDotson

Thanks for the info Terry.  Sounds like that will be the straightforward way to get my Libre Office docs into Acad.   I just installed MSOffice 2013 last friday, and am far from happy with it.  Barely worth the $9.95 price. Smiley Mad

Would be nice to be able to mport CALC  OpenDoc spreadsheets as tables.  that and a better svg conversion would be awesome additions.

Message 7 of 9
TerryDotson
in reply to: jggerth1

Do you keep your files in ODS or XLSx? Are you can existing user?  Drop me an email at dotson [at] dotsoft [dot] com.

Message 8 of 9
tmcmannis

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We are investigating Word2CAD right now, and will likely either do that one or go the attribute block route with fields referencing it. Again, thank you all for the helpful input and advice!

-Tristan

Message 9 of 9
vladimir_michl

You can also link two or more text/mtext objects using Fields. Any change in the original text will be propagated to other texts (even in other layouts). The LinkText utility can automate this linking - see www.cadstudio.cz/freeware

Vladimir Michl, www.cadstudio.cz  www.cadforum.cz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost