Did you mean: 

Reference Manager and renaming Xref files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ndawsonmccann
9524 Views, 6 Replies

Reference Manager and renaming Xref files

Hello,

I have been using Reference Manger to fix the Xref path of one Xref to multiple drawings with success.

However, if I rename the Xref then I’m out of luck. Is there a way to use Reference Manager to rename and repath the xref?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
kcobabe
in reply to: ndawsonmccann

I don't think there is a way to change the reference name as it works a lot like if you were to repath the reference in the drawing itself.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 3 of 7
abubakars

Try with the free BatchInDatabase tool to repath to renamed xref files without opening the drawings which is avaiable to download from Autodesk Exchange App store

Below is from the help file

Xref - Redirect:

Redirect references, xref, Image, PDF underlay and DWF underlay will be redirected to new location. Use this command to redirect all references to new location:

Enter * in old path which means all selected reference type will be redirected to new location

Alternatively use this command to find and replace a part of path with new path values

Each reference file which is going to be changed will be checked for the existence in the new location; if the reference file does not exist in the destination location then the path of that file will not be updated

Xref-Redirect.PNG

•  Search in sub-folders: Enabling this option will search for the new references in the current folder value given in the new path and its sub-folders.

If there are two or more same file names exist in current and sub-folders, the first one from the current folder will be taken

• Search Path type: There are two options Found At Path/Saved Path, if mixed path are used then Found At Path will handle these multiple path types and the Saved path will work only with Full path xrefs

Usage:

Example-1

You have an image "Test.jpg" which has been referenced in multiple files

You create another image with same name but different image type,  let us say "Test.png"

Since we are changing only the extension , the path will remain same, so both images should be in the same folder, the command checks the file first for its location, if found then replace the name, thus the reference is changed to new image type.

Xref-Redirect-1.PNG

Example-2

You have an image "P:\ABC-123\DD\Iamges\Test.jpg" which has been referenced in multiple files

You have another image which is located in different directory "P:\ABC-123\WD\Images\Test.jpg"

Here we have a part of image path is different, the command parameter will be as below

Xref-Redirect-2.PNG

Example-3

You have an image "P:\ABC-123\DD\Iamges\Test.jpg" which has been referenced in multiple files

You have another image which is located in different directory "P:\ABC-123\WD\Images\NEW.png"

Here we have a different path, file name and image type, the command parameter will be as below

Xref-Redirect-3.PNG

Hope this will help

Message 4 of 7

app mentioned above does not appear to exist anymore (year 2020)  

anyone else have a solution for batch renaming xref's?  Reference manager is great if the file names don't change, unfortunately, I often move files from job to job changing not only folder path, but also file naming convention.  

Message 5 of 7

>>>...app mentioned above does not appear to exist anymore...<<<
Yes it does (its just not free) along with other options at the Autodesk App Store, help yourself:
https://apps.autodesk.com/ACD/en/List/Search?isAppSearch=True&searchboxstore=ACD&facet=&collection=&...

Message 6 of 7

Thanks the link the response above didn't work, and I guess I missed it when I searched on my own.

Message 7 of 7
amonahan724

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost