Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redefining existing blocks and adding an attribute to existing blocks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
autocadding
4965 Views, 4 Replies

Redefining existing blocks and adding an attribute to existing blocks

I have a page with elevation titles - title number in a circle, title of elevation, and scale of elevation - pretty typical. 

I wanted to add another attribute to the elevation tag. If I use block editor, then only new insertions of the elevation title block are changed. The attribute is not added to existing blocks. I've seen mentions of some icon or tag on the upper right of block editor, but I don't see it.

Years ago, I used to just use the "ATTREDEF" command

Then it changed to "-ATTREDEF" (same command with a "dash" in front of it). Similar thing happened to ATTEDIT command - but that's been sort of superceded by the "FIND" command. 

Now -ATTREDEF is not working, it claims it can't find insertions of the same block name. Maybe script of command does not recognize ACAD 2014 text or blocks?

When I google this issue, I find lots of different answers, but many of them are at least a few years old so they no longer apply. 

How can I redefine all existing blocks with an additional attribute, not just new ones..

Is there a new magical command.. 

thanks..Smiley Happy

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tschau3
in reply to: autocadding

Try the ATTSYNC command.

Message 3 of 5
sbrusco

Hi,

If the new block, the one with the added attribute, exists outside the current drawing, simply use the "insert" command but do NOT pick the block from the drop-down list. Instead, use the "Browse" button and navigate to the block and select it. Then when you pick the "OK" button to complete the insert, you will get a warning that the block "...is already defined as a block in this drawing..." and ask if you want to redefine it. Pick the "Redefine block" optiion and all the blocks will be updated. At this point you can escape out of the insert command if you don't want to place another instance of the block.

However, and this is IMPORTANT, since you've added a new attribute, you will need to use the "ATTSYNC" command or, and this is my preference, use the BATTMAN command, pick your block in the drop-down list, pick the "Sync" button and end by picking the "OK" button.

If you want to add the new attribute to the block only in the current drawing, well, that's another solution so let me know and we'll pick it up from there.

Sal

PS. "ATTREDEF" and "-ATTREDEF" are the same commands. The hyphen prefix simply tells AutoCAD to run the command line version. In the case of ATTREDEF, there is no dialog box version so these are both the same.

Message 4 of 5
autocadding
in reply to: tschau3

Thanks - I'll try.. 

How long as ATTSYNC been around? I always find out about these trick commands 10 years after they were created!

Message 5 of 5
pendean

BATTMAN and ATTSYNC have been around since R2002 I believe, before that it was an add-on or 'bonus' tool?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost