Recreating a Radius

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
vautr1090
302 Views, 5 Replies

Recreating a Radius

Hi folks, 

I have a physical item that I'm trying to reverse engineer and draw in AutoCAD (eventually transferring to Inventor).  The issue I'm having is how to measure a radius of an item.  I don't have any gauges......and I've tried to come up with the radius mathematically, but it seems like there's multiple curves to the item.    

So.....my question is, is there any way to trace it, scan it and have it translate to AutoCAD?  Or are there any other method that you could suggest?  If all else fails, I might hit up somebody that I know that would have access to some radius gauges that I could use.  

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: vautr1090

@vautr1090 wrote:

.... (eventually transferring to Inventor).  .  

Why are you using AutoCAD in this process?

Simply place some pictures in Inventor, use a known reference to scale and then trace overtop the image(s).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
vautr1090
in reply to: JDMather

I can skip AutoCAD.....I just figured it would be the more likely of the two that I could import something into. I've never uploaded something to either program before. So is it something where I upload it like a jpeg? Or is there another way to do it?
Message 4 of 6
JDMather

I think there is an example in the Inventor Tutorials.

Here is another http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%202011%20Tutorial%2014.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
steve216586

How big is the item? If it fits in a copy machine, you can scan to pdf file and import it into a blank drawing.  Then, trace it yourself using elliptical curves and arcs. I've done this with pump impellers.

The lid doesn't have to close all the way. Just don't look directly at the scanning process. 😉

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 6 of 6
vautr1090
in reply to: steve216586

The part is small enough to fit on a regular piece of paper, so I'll just trace it out and scan it in.  And as you suggested trace it out with curves and arcs.  Thanks for the help guys!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost