AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Valued Contributor
ajlowery
Message 1 of 6 (1,552 Views)
Accepted Solution

Raster won't plot to PDF

1552 Views, 5 Replies
10-25-2012 01:39 PM

I have a drawing that refuses to plot the raster image when i plot to a PDF. It will plot the raster when I send it to the plotter. The raster is visible in the print preview. I've tried using the Adobe PDF driver and the DWG to PDF.pc3. 

All I get is the line work. 

Plot tranparency is off. Image is at Brightness 50, Contrast 50, Fade 0. 

Autocad Map3d 2013

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Toney

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 2 of 6 (1,546 Views)

Re: Raster won't plot to PDF

10-25-2012 02:16 PM in reply to: ajlowery

Is the raster image rotated, by any chance?

Valued Contributor
ajlowery
Message 3 of 6 (1,540 Views)

10-25-2012 02:34 PM in reply to: dmfrazier

Nope not rotated or twisted.

The original raster I was using was an uncompressed TIF that was 205 megs (a little big I'll admit).

I recut the raster, lowered the resolution and saved it with LZW compression. It's down to 52 megs. 

But still not showing up when I plot to PDF. Again it's in the preview. 

One other thing (and this might be a big clue)... The frame of the raster is visible in the PDF.

Thanks again

Toney

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 4 of 6 (1,525 Views)

10-26-2012 05:46 AM in reply to: ajlowery

As a workaround, try plotting to DWF first, and then use DesignReview to print to PDF.  That's clumsy, but does often work to get around odd problems with getting PDF output from Acad products.

You could also setup a Postcript plotter in Acad, and plot to that, then convert the .eps file to PDF with Acrobat

Valued Contributor
ajlowery
Message 5 of 6 (1,509 Views)

10-26-2012 11:44 AM in reply to: ajlowery

Thanks for the replies.

Finally got it to plot. I did a shut down and restarted (a suggestion from a co-worker). I saved the file as a new file. detacted any xref's I wasn't using, purged and audited the file, set the FRAME variable to 3 and saved again.

Something did the trick because the the aerial showed up when I plotted it using the Acrobat driver. However the aerail is still NOT plotting using the DWG to PDF.pc3.

I also tried JGerth's suggestion of plotting to a dwf and then using Design Review to creat the PDF. That worked as well. I did try that after I did all the steps above. So I don't know if it would have worked without doing those steps.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

PhilWinIL
Message 6 of 6 (1,115 Views)

07-01-2013 08:43 AM in reply to: ajlowery

What I have found in generating PDF's with a higher resolution graphics image is that you have to modify the resolution in the Acrobat settings.

It defaults to 1200 dpi, which is too much for it with a high resolution image. If you set the Acrobat resolution to 600 dpi or 300 dpi, it should print out normally.

I have found this out by workjing with USGS imagery.

PhilW

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.