Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"too complex" error when filleting 2 edges...

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
michael.serdena
736 Views, 6 Replies

"too complex" error when filleting 2 edges...

Hello guys, this is my first post here since I've started using autocad prior to hitting my very first roadblock.

I'm trying to fillet an edge(selected edge; w/ blue outline) adjacent to another edge(white edge; between 2 solids) which is already filleted. It gives the same error even if I fillet the edge between 2 solids first. What should I do?

thanks...

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
nestly2
in reply to: michael.serdena

Could the Fillet radius be more than half the thickness of the blade?

Sometimes the you have to reverse the order when FILLET intersects another FILLET.  Try FILLETing the blade before FILLETing the blade to the cylinder.

Attach a the drawing here if it still won't work  (also specify the desired radius)

Message 3 of 7
michael.serdena
in reply to: nestly2

Thanks for response! 🙂

I've tried FILLETing the blade first before UNIONing it and FILLETing it to the cylinder but it doesn't work either.

I've attached the drawing and indicated the suggested radius for the FILLETs there.

Thanks...

Message 4 of 7
nestly2

The problem is that the fillet cannot blend into the adjecent edge because of curve in the left (and right) edge of the blade.  To solve, use the Chain option make sure all adjacent edges to be filleted are selected.  This may create another problem as the fillet will be wrapped around the end of the blade and back toward the cylinder.  You may have to SLICE the end of the blade off and fillet the left, right, and end of the blade seperately where the fillet on the left and right side of the blades are different.

FILLET - Chain.gif

Message 5 of 7
michael.serdena

Wow! Thanks! Now the problem is the fillet sorrounds the whole blade(as you've just said) but it's now just a matter of slicing off the parts.

Thank you very much for responding so fast! At first, I feel so hopeless when I saw the other posts' reply count.

I hope someone will answer my future hiccups as fast as this. Thanks! 🙂

Message 6 of 7
nestly2

Here's another tip that may help with the fillet wrapping around too far.   If you're not familiar with SUBOBJECTSELECTION, explore it in the Help files.  See below how it can be used to remove portions of the FILLET by using CTRL+Click to select individual faces, and delete them.

Subobject Selection.gif

Message 7 of 7
michael.serdena

That's definitely faster than slicing(I didn't figure yet how to use it properly). I was able to remove the fillet from the right side of the blade but It can't fillet with high radius(where the fillet reaches more than half the width of blade). I was able to fillet with high radius on the blade that has higher pitch(the one that I posted here). I'm trying it to another blade that I newly made with lower pitch but it refuses to fillet with high radius.

I'll post here if I can't figure things out. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost