Did you mean: 

"Duplicate definition of block _DOT ignored." Copypaste error, tried everything

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
cam01096
8204 Views, 3 Replies

"Duplicate definition of block _DOT ignored." Copypaste error, tried everything

My work PC is part of a network which AutoCAD drawings are saved to, and AutoCAD 2014 is installed on my PC, with all the files on my PC's HDD.

The issue: I can't copy and paste from certain AutoCAD drawings others. Sometimes I can copy one way but not the other, other times I can't copy either way. In all instances, at the very least, the following line appears in the command box:

"Duplicate definition of block _DOT  ignored.". I can't figure out how to just delete this block either, although I doubt it would work.

The issue was only present in one drawing originally (that I knew of) but now a "typical sections" drawing, saved on my desktop, has also "corrupted" and I can't copy anything (not even lines) from this drawing into any other drawings, other than drawings that are completely blank (and no, I can't use blank drawings as a middle man, nor am I going to copy and paste every line and block one at a time until i find the point where the program breaks, it would take hours).

I've found examples of this problem going back as far as AutoCAD 2002... and having tried several things from several threads I've found on the issue none have worked.

Here's a list of things I've tried:

- Purge and audit commands.

- "-Purge" to purge regapps (no regapps were present in any affected drawings anyway)

- From the most recent thread on the issue, this was linked, which took me to Autodesk's "hotfix". I followed this file's instructions but hit a problem with a NETLOAD error, which was solved over here, and involved editing config files in Notepad. So I've now also tried Autodesk's DGNPURGE tool on both the drawings I'm currently trying to copy and paste thigns to and from.

- Deleting all blocks, exploding all blocks, purging everything, DGNPURG-ing everything, auditing, and purging again

- Saving both files to my PC's HDD

- Deleting the _DOT block (didn't figure out how to do this)

None of the above solutions worked.

It should be noted that i haven't installed Service Pack 1 for AutoCAD 2014, but if there is a relevant fix within the pack, let me know

As I'm drawing sections for my current CAD project, and as there is no end in sight for the problem (it crops up in drawings created from scratch on my own PC), I need to get this fixed or I'll be forever manually redrawing stuff that I should just be able to copy and paste.

Any help would be appreciated.

I created a new thread and didn't just reply in the one already in the forum, because my post wouldn't get the attention if it was just a reply in that thread. While googling the issue I found many examples of threads where the last person to reply was someone who had the same problem, tried the suggested fixes, and had no luck.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: cam01096

1. -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command to remove any AEC content your variant of AutocAD cannot handle: do this for all your files. This is the primary reason most suers cannot copy/paste between files easily and without issues.

2. Rename _DOT block in your source and/or destination file(s) to something else. Then restart the COPYCLIP process. About the only thing relevant that you did not try from what I can tell.
Message 3 of 4
cam01096
in reply to: pendean

Thanks, I'll try this stuff and anything in the other thread if need be.

I got into work this morning and the issue seems to have stopped. i still get the same error message but now it actually copies in the right info! So I can copy and paste successfully again!

Hopefully it lasts
Message 4 of 4

Hello everyone!

I´m having this problem in my job, and as we can't copy things for one drawing to other, sometimes we have to redraw those things. My parthners use Autocad 2011, and I use Autocad 2008, can we apply this recomendations anyway the version of the program is different?

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost