Did you mean: 

Quick Select Properties Dialog is Empty

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
chadcross
4091 Views, 9 Replies

Quick Select Properties Dialog is Empty

After doing a purge of unneccesary layers, my drawing file is no longer able to use quick select normally. With nothing selected, the quick select window doesn't allow me to select any properties with object type set to multiple. If I set the object type to something more specific, the properties display normally:

ACAD QSelect.jpgACAD QSelect 2.jpg

Audit does not fix the problem. Why does this occur, and is there any way to resolve this without have to copy/paste into a new drawing?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
chadcross
in reply to: chadcross

This issue has come up again, this time it happens only if I delete two empty text objects. I can change their style, add contents, change layer, etc. but as soon as I delete them, quick select no longer works. If I copy everything but the two text objects to another drawing, quick select does not work. I'm literally stuck with these two blank text objects, and I don't understand why.

I can email the file if someone is willing to take a look...

Message 3 of 10
nestly2

Can you attach the drawing here?  (use the Attachments button in the Reply window)    Also for testing purposes, can you specify which AutoCAD version you're using. 

Message 4 of 10
chadcross
in reply to: nestly2

Thanks for the reply,

Due to the nature of the drawing (it's a hospital's life safety plan) I would prefer to send directly, so I have some control over who it goes to.

I use AutoCAD 2014.
Message 5 of 10
pendean

Sorry but it appears I cannot repeat your issue in R2014, R2013, R2014 or R2016. It also appears that in your first screenshot there is a pop-up element mising. I can purge layers and delete text and MULTIPLE is always an option with no mising items from the pop-up.

Are you stating this problem if file specific? Are you running an addon? Are you runing something other than plain AutoCAD 2014? is SP1 installed? Does your file(s) contain Proxy Objects from other AUtoCAD variants or third party software? Are you sure there are no items selected when you see this error?
Does closeing and opening the file fix the issue?
Does restarting AutoCAD fix the issue?
Does simply running REGENALL fix the issue?
Message 6 of 10
chadcross
in reply to: pendean

Dean,
Are you referring to the missing "Value" element?

The issue is most definitely file-specific. The only add-ons I am running came with BDSP2014 - raster tools, sketchbook designer, and express tools.

I have the latest updates installed. I go through many floors of various hospital life safety plans, and quick select has only presented this problem a couple of times, so it's a very peculiar issue that I'm trying to understand.

In the past, I worked around this problem by copy (w/ base point) and pasting all drawing elements from one file to a new file. This time, I can isolate the problem to two empty-contents text objects - I can change any of their properties with no issues, but as soon as I delete them the issue comes up. I can copy all elements except the text and paste into a new drawing and the issue comes up. I can laydel their layer (instead of purge, which also doesn't work) and the issue comes up. I can purge empty text and the issue comes up.

Closing / restarting / regenall do not make the problem go away.

I don't believe I have any proxy objects, but it's hard to tell - these drawings have probably passed through many firms before landing here. I always start by cleaning up and creating new drawings with our templates if necessary, but this one drawing is giving me this issue.

Right now I'm just keeping the text elements with no contents, since they are impossible to see.
Message 7 of 10
chadcross

I was able to resolve the problem. Nestly was able to open my drawing, delete the objects, and continue to use quick select as normal. They created a video showing the process in AutoCAD 2014 - whereas I was using the Architecture version of ACAD 2014. Opening the drawing in my copy of plain ACAD 2014, I was able to delete the objects and re-use quick select - just like Nestly did.

I noticed a proxy graphics warning upon opening the drawing in plain ACAD 2014. I decided to try using -exporttoautocad from ACAD Architecture 2014 with it's default settings, and in the resulting drawing I was able to delete the two objects and use quick select normally.

Aside from having to rebuild some viewports and re-add some doors, I'd say the issue is solved - I'm guessing proxy graphics were at fault.
Message 8 of 10
nestly2

Glad you were able to get it sorted out  🙂

Message 9 of 10
tanderson

So how was the problem with the Quick Select Properties Dialog solved?

Message 10 of 10

USE THE "AUDIT" COMMAND IT WILL FIX IT JUST WORKED FOR ME

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost