Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publish problem with CTAB variable

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
zimmerroo
964 Views, 7 Replies

Publish problem with CTAB variable

I use a custom field to automatically update my page name.  In a Diesel Expression box, I type:  $(getvar,ctab)  and this allows me to create a block with a field that automatically reflects whatever my tab name is. this is helpful for me so that if I change the tab name, the reference is updated automatiically.

THis was working fine for me on my older version of autocad. But I recently upgraded to R2014, and I discovered that the publish command is having problems with this variable.  At first I was disappointed, and decided to chuck the block for the old standby attribute block.  BUt then I discovered other files with this block did not have the same problem.

Here is a brief explanaiton of what is happening:  In File A, if I have 10 sheets numbered A-01 thru A-10, each PDF is printed as "A-01", not the correct tab name.  In File B, using this same block, it prints out correctly.

Conclusion.   If the same block doesn't work in File A, but it works just fine in File B, then File A must have a setting or variable different from File B. 

Question: Anyone know what variable or setting this may be?  I checked a regen setting, and this wasn't it.

I'll attach a few images for reference.

Your help with getting to the bottom of this is greatily appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
steven-g
in reply to: zimmerroo

Take a look at the 'fieldeval' variable it is stored per drawing and gave me some problems when I had upgraded about a year ago (different problem but who knows).

Message 3 of 8
dmfrazier

"Anyone know what variable or setting this may be?"

FIELDEVAL is the only setting that comes to mind, but it is not saved in the DWG.

"I discovered other files with this block did not have the same problem."

Are you *absolutely* certain that the block is the same in both cases?  If you had been playing around (testing/experimenting) with attributes in the block, is it possible that attributes didn't get synced in one of your DWGs?

Message 4 of 8
steven-g
in reply to: dmfrazier

Fieldeval is saved in my drawings ! which would explain why different drawings could behave differently

Message 5 of 8
zimmerroo

Thank you, Steven -- that was it.  I had the FIELDEVAL value set at 31 in File B, but only set for 16 in File A.  I changed it to 31 in File A, and now the enttire PDF set prints correctly.

Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 8
steven-g

You're welcome I think maybe they changed the default setting in 2012 or so, but I have to change the value from 31 to 15 for my drawings (31 is the default now).

Message 7 of 8
dmfrazier
in reply to: steven-g

"Fieldeval is saved in my drawings ! which would explain why different drawings could behave differently"

Thanks, Steven.

My response was based on what I see in SYSVDLG (AutoCAD 2010 and 2013):

SysVar_FieldEval.png

When I see "Saved In: Registry", that tells me the value is a "system" setting, not a DWG setting.

However, Help does indicate the setting is saved in the DWG, so apparently there is either an error in SYSVDLG or I am misinterpreting what "Saved in Registry" means (and I am hereby humbled and educated).

Unless someone can explain this in another way, I'm afraid now I have to be less trusting of that otherwise handy command.Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 8
steven-g
in reply to: dmfrazier

Thats strange I would read it as that too. But LT doesn't have that handy dialogue either (SYSVDLG), I just know it saves per drawing because I have to set the value for my old drawings, my template is already set to 15 Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost