Did you mean: 

Property/Geomentry/Length: Need to change the decimal

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
drawkeep
382 Views, 9 Replies

Property/Geomentry/Length: Need to change the decimal

Hi all,

Testing autocad 2015. so need some guide line for changing unit. I have attach a print screen. Please check it. It circle in red.

My current unit scale is in meters. Even if I can to kilometer the reading is still the same.

I wish to change the reading from 33200 to 33.200.

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
3wood
in reply to: drawkeep

If current drawing units is Meters, you can xref it to a blank drawing which units is set to Kilometers. Then measured in the new drawing you will get the desired result.

Or you have to scale everything phisically by 0.001

Message 3 of 10
drawkeep
in reply to: 3wood

If I only doing the length thing, you are right. I need to do the area also so. 6 digit could result a big mistake if not careful. So looking for a way to change the decimal if possible.

Never use xref before. Read some online. It can be confusing. Can you show some light?

Message 4 of 10
drawkeep

I have successful attach the drawing in the new drawing but it is in one item. Any where I click, highlight all the items
Message 5 of 10
Kent1Cooper

I believe the only "real" way to do this is to Scale everything in model space down to 1000th of its current size.  AutoCAD keeps track of things in drawing units, and changing things like Units setting only changes what those units represent -- it does not change the size in drawing units of any element.  If something is 33200 drawing units long when a drawing unit represents a meter, it will still be 33200 drawing units long if you change the Units so that a drawing unit represents a kilometer.  That is the reason you get the same Length reading after making that change.  [If you change to Imperial Architectural Units it will still be 33200 drawing units long, but then a drawing unit will represent an inch, and it will display as 2766'-8".]

We deal with this when we get things like Site Plan drawings from Civil Engineers whose drawing unit represents a foot, and we use parts of them in our Architectural drawings whose drawing unit represents an inch.  We need to Scale everything up to 12 times their size, so that something a foot long is now 12 drawings units long, rather than 1 drawing unit as they drew it.  And they do the reverse when we send them things like building footprint outlines that they put into their site drawings.

If you want it to read as 33.200 in Length when Units are set to Kilometers, you need to make it 33.200 drawing units long, which means Scaling it all down.  That will take care of both length and area readings.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 10
3wood

@drawkeep wrote:

If I only doing the length thing, you are right. I need to do the area also so. 6 digit could result a big mistake if not careful. ...

If the length is shown correctly, then the area will be correct as well because 0.001x0.001=0.000001

Message 7 of 10
drawkeep
in reply to: 3wood

Thank you.
Message 8 of 10
drawkeep
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Ok, I can understand that. Will try to look for the solution.
Message 9 of 10
drawkeep

Kent,

Been searching for a while now. Not quite sure how is done. Can you show me how it done?

Message 10 of 10
Kent1Cooper

@drawkeep wrote:
Been searching for a while now. Not quite sure how is done. Can you show me how it done?

Type words to search for into the empty window at the top [above "turn on suggestions"], and where it says "Board", pull it down and select "Community" to have it look in more than just the 2013/14/15 Forum [I think that's what "Board" means -- this one], and pick on the blue Search button.  Words or phrases you could try would be things like "Scale everything" or "Change scale".  You can also try other websites, such as Cadalyst, Afralisp, The Swamp, etc.  [Search the Forums for suggestions on other good websites.]

You can also just do it without any routine.  Get into Model space, make sure all Layers are thawed and on and unlocked, use the Scale command with "All" for the selection, pick or enter a base point [I would suggest 0,0], and give it 1/1000 for the scale factor.  But just for fun, this may do it for you [untested]:

(defun C:M2KM (); = Meters to Kilometers

(command

"_.mspace" "_.model"

"_.layer" "_thaw" "*" "_on" "*" "_unlock" "*" ""

"_.scale" "_all" "" '(0 0 0) 0.001

"_,layerp" ; restore any frozen/off/locked Layers

); command

); defun

It could be expanded to remember where you are when you start [e.g. if you're in Paper space, in a particular Layout, etc.] and return you there when it's done.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost