Properties Palette won't semember columns settings

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
knmdk
1113 Views, 15 Replies

Properties Palette won't semember columns settings

Hey there,

I'm experiencing a weird bug appeared out of nowhere. Every single time I start AutoCAD 2013 my Properties Pallete's columns reset their size. Please see attached image for an example.

I've tried re-saving workspace to a new one. It won't help. It also doesn't matter if I open application using shortcut or by double-clicking DWG file.

It's very annoying so maybe someone knows how to fix it?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Jay_B
in reply to: knmdk

Is system variable LOCKUI set to 0?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 16
knmdk
in reply to: Jay_B

Yes, LOCKUI is 0. I've just tried changing it back and forth without result.

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 16
nestly2

Which flavor of AutoCAD is this,  (the 3 tabs indicate it's not vanilla)

Does it also happen when undocked?   You may try manually adjusting it in the CUI (select the current workspace in the top left pane, then select "Properties" in the top right pane, then adjust the size/location in the lower right pane... APPPLY)

Message 5 of 16
knmdk
in reply to: nestly2

It's Civil 3D. Same thing happens to Properties in both modes (running as Civil 3D and as AutoCAD). I tried what you've suggested and it didn't work. And there was no option to adjust columns widths of Properties Palette inside CUI. Changing size to a diferent one didn't help... BTW it's no matter if the palette is docked or not.

Message 6 of 16
pendean

If there is no resolution here, you probably should consider asking your peers over in the CIVIL3D forum.
Message 7 of 16
rkmcswain

Log into the machine as a new user (a user that has not logged on to the machine before).

When you launch C3D, a new profile will be created.

Does it work OK now?

If so, this indicates something screwy with *your* profile, and you can try this:

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/05/add-reset-user-settings-in-civil-3d-2012.html

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 8 of 16
rkmcswain
in reply to: rkmcswain

Or if you feel more adventurous.....

Close Civil 3D

Go to this directory: %appdata%\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Support\Profiles\<your profile name>

Find the file "Profile.aws" and rename it to something else like "Profile.aws.bak" (make sure file extensions are visible in Explorer)

Restart Civil 3D

Any difference?

Message 9 of 16
knmdk

Thanks. R.C. I've done it to both profiles and it's fine now! Maybe you could point me to what information is stored inside profile. So I could double check the settings and delete backup files.

Message 10 of 16
rkmcswain

@knmdk wrote:

Maybe you could point me to what information is stored inside profile. So I could double check the settings and delete backup files.

I don't know exactly, but it's just an XML file so you can open it in Notepad or an XML file reader and poke around and possibly figure some of it out.

Message 11 of 16
knmdk

Yep already been there. It seems it's some sort of a bug since all lines regarding any "Properties" are indential in new and old file. Well I guess I'll have to live with it since it's too much palettes states that are being reset with fresh profile. I do 2D, 3D and Civil 3D things so my setup isn't flexible at all.

Message 12 of 16
borealfad

I am having the exact same issue with the column widths of my properties palette as the original poster. Each time I change the left most column, it is always reset to the same very narrow width.

Here is my current situation:

• fresh install of AutoCAD 2020 trial version yesterday
  • new computer running windows 10
  • a company i just started working for, so this was the first time AutoCAD had been installed at this COMPANY
  • I did not import any settings from a previous install
  • no adjustments made to the CUI
  • drafting environment adjustments included
    • opened the xref, layers, designcenter and sheet set manager palettes
    • docked the command bar at the bottom of my screen
    • docked the properties palette on the left side of my window

After starting AutoCAD this morning, the leff column is VERY narrow. I checked to be sure that the profile.aws file is being updated after each exit (it is) I also created a new profile and the new profile.aws file is also being updated. 

After renaming the .aws files, (the one in the current profile and the fixedprofile.aws in the profiles folder) and restarting AutoCAD the columnwidth is corrected. After exiting and restarting, the column width is again so narrow that I can't read anything. The same symptoms occur when I edit the .aws filed directly with an XML text editor as suggested in the following post:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-lt-forum/changing-default-width-of-columns-in-properties-pale...

Can anyone shed some light on this? I have been dealing with this issue for at least a year now!

Message 13 of 16
pendean
in reply to: borealfad

C3D? or plain AutoCAD?

Screenshots would be helpful if you can share them, full AutoCAD screen capture included please.

Also post a screenshot of your ABOUT command and GRAPHICSCONFIG command pop-ups please.
Message 14 of 16
borealfad
in reply to: pendean

Vanilla AutoCAD

AutoCAD 2020 Graphics config.PNG

Nice! This is how I like it.Nice! This is how I like it.but after a restart, this is what I getbut after a restart, this is what I get

Message 15 of 16
borealfad

about popup window

AutoCAD 2020 About.PNG

Message 16 of 16
borealfad

A brief update. AutoCAD 2020 crashed just before I left the office yesterday evening. I had the two open drawings saved to recover files and did not restart AutoCAD until this morning. When I started AutoCAD, the column widths in the properties palette were the correct width.

Just as a test, I saved the two drawings after recovering them with the drawing recovery tool, closed each of them, then used task manager to end the AutoCAD task. After restarting AutoCAD the left column in the properties palette was very narrow...

This leads me to believe that AutoCAD is saving the column width to this narrow number and ignoring the width that I set when each time i open a drawing. I have the same symptoms no matter what drawing i open.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost