Did you mean: 

projecting 3D profile geometry on to a 2d plane

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
NelsCS
2329 Views, 2 Replies

projecting 3D profile geometry on to a 2d plane

When I had access to Autodesk Inventer obtaining 2d projections was easily accomplished by creating a drawing of the model and selecting the desired snapshot and exporting it as a dxf or dwg which would then contain a perfect 2D profile. I am involved in the shape cutting industry, programming for waterjet and laser machines and often need to cut these profiles for parts for which the customer only has 3D models.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: NelsCS

One method would be to set up the 2D view you want to use, and set your UCS to it. Then use the FLATSHOT command to create a 2D copy of what you see.

Are you familiar with SOLVIEW,SOLPROF & SOLDRAW?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 3
NelsCS
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Bob, thanks so much for this answer. As I've long known the creators of AutoCAD have their own special way of naming things that, while logical in retrospect, aren't always intuitivly obvious. I've tried searching for information on projected 3D geometry in as many ways as I could think of for years. The flatshot command seems to be exactly what I have been looking for.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost