Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems exporting DWG to STL

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
alisonyc
1353 Views, 2 Replies

Problems exporting DWG to STL

I downloaded a designer furniture file (which is a 3Ds dwg file). And I've been just playing around with AutoCad, so I can convert the DWG to a 3D file to test the 3D printer. I'm trying to make scaled down furniture for a modeling project. But I can't seem to convert the dwg into stl (which the 3D printer needs). At first I thought it was the file itself. So, I just quickly opened up a new file, created a 3d cylinder, and see if it would export as stl, it did not save to anywhere on my computer.

Is there something I'm missing? Or anything that I'm doing wrong? 

I'm using AutoCAD 2014 for Mac.

I've attached the original dwg file

Tags (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: alisonyc

Hi,

exporting to STL asks you the following for selecting the objects:

Select solids or watertight meshes:

And that's not the case with your geometry, that are single (not watertight) 3d-faces. You have to work over it.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 3
pendean
in reply to: alisonyc

STL exporting requires a very specific object type to be in your file, your content must be made of these: start HELP and look it up (if the tip above did not give you enough information).

Not everything "3D" qualifies for an STL export: looks like you are going to have to redraw/recreate the model yourself first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost