Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with drawing on UCS in ACAD 2015

61 REPLIES 61
Message 1 of 62
lovecraft
3195 Views, 61 Replies

Problem with drawing on UCS in ACAD 2015

O.K.  Been running 2015 for a week or so now.  My experience has been mixed.  I like the way Mtext has been improved and I've played around a bit with some of the other selection "enhancements" and some things I like and others will just not use.  Yesterday I ran into a snag that, if not fixed, will cause me some grief and frustration until I find a workaround.  For quite a few years now I've been working with 3D solid modeling and when I create new geometry, be it 2D construction aids or actual solids themselves, my methods involve a lot of moving, rotating and otherwise re-orienting the UCS to facilitate my workflow.  Much to my surprise, yesterday, when starting from the WCS, then moving it to a new location slightly above that plane and rotating the new UCS 90 degrees CCW around the X axis (in effect establishing a work plane parallel to and, in fact co-planar to the WCS Orthographic Front plane), I found that when drawing a new line on this plane, then starting another line originating at one end of that first line, that the start point of the second line was (believe it or not) forced back down onto what seemed to be the WCS and that no matter how I dragged my mouse (more on that in a minute) the second line was constrained to a plane below where I was trying to draw (apparently on the WCS) 90 degrees out of plane with the UCS that I had just established and was trying to draw upon.

Now, I've been racking my admittedly feeble brain trying to explain this shocking and unexpected behavior, since it will, if not overcome, seriously and deleteriously affect my workflow and productivity.

Some of the things I've considered as an explanation and rejected when modifying them had no effect:

Accidentally hitting F7, F9 or F11 keys which would activate snap, grid or tracking modes.

Video card driver.  Autodesk seems to be telling me it's up to date.  By the way, I notice that 3DCONFIG has been retired and has now been replaced with GRAPHICSCONFIG.  I notice that there's no way now in preferences to manually check if this is up-to-snuff, that we just have to rely on the software periodically checking to see that all is well----hope this works as promised.

The next thing I plan on looking into is the mouse, which is an older Microsoft Trackball, something I swore a few years ago I would never use but has actually worked out really well for 3D work, as you can assign orbit commands and the like to one of the additional buttons provided.  However, I guess I need to check to see whether I can update the mouse driver to work better with ACAD 2015----there were NO ISSUES with 2014.

I also tried to audit and recover the file (no help there, and besides, I tried the same frustrating exercise in another known-to-be-uncorrupted file and experienced the same disappointing behavior).

Could the explanation be (just a theory, mind you) that Autodesk is now forcing us to use these Dynamic UCS's that, I guess, were originally created to eliminate the need to move, rotate & otherwise re-orient our co-ordinate systems to facilitate creating geometry in 3D space?  I hope someone out there has an answer for this.  My preference would be to stick with my established and very effective method of controlling my UCS, but if I have to adopt a new methodology I would like to know as soon as possible.

Can anyone in the forum point me in the right direction to take care of this problem? 

61 REPLIES 61
Message 41 of 62
GrantsPirate
in reply to: jimmcf3000

The version of the driver is 6.14.10.13618

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 42 of 62
jimmcf3000
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Hmmm.....windows reports my driver as 8.17.12.7051, but I installed Nvidia's ODE Driver 270.51. Not sure what ODE stands for.

Message 43 of 62
lincannotbe
in reply to: jimmcf3000

wow so I wasn't the only one having this problem!

I have exactly same issue. It does happen only with LINE command.

This seemed trivial at first, but actually turned out to be very annoying.

Please give a hot fix asap!

Message 44 of 62
lincannotbe
in reply to: lincannotbe

Too bad this ACAD 2015 Service Pack 1 did NOT solve this issue.
Still waiting for the fix.
Message 45 of 62
GrantsPirate
in reply to: lincannotbe

With DUCS on I don't have that problem, with it off I do have that problem.  I am staying with 2014.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 46 of 62
jimmcf3000
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Dynamic UCS on or off makes no difference for me. Still doesn't work.

-JIm

Message 47 of 62
Yorx57
in reply to: lovecraft

Dynamic UCS ON/OFF making no difference here!

Message 48 of 62
i_am_bigjohnson

Autodesk,

Well it's July 11th an this is still and issue!?!?! The LINE command does not work but I can work around it by using a PLINE or RECTANGLE command to draw in the different named UCS's...

Is Autodesk ever going to fix it??? Seems like I have to maintain 2 or 3 older versions to be able to maintain what I need to do or use to be able to do........

Tags (1)
Message 49 of 62
Wally.Baumback

I teach AutoCAD in a college.  If this problem is not fixed soon we will using AutoCAD 2014.  It`s too bad that it has taken this long to address. 

Message 50 of 62

I just seen when I fired my machine up this morning that there are Service Packs for AutoCAD 2015 and Inventor 2015. After installing I eagerly opened up a new drawing and tested drawing a box with the line command in AutoCAD, low and behold they have got it fixed and the USC behaved as it should!

Horray!!!!!!!

-Rob
Message 51 of 62

Wow....It works!!!

Thanks for posting. I didn't know SP2 was out until I saw your post.

-Jim

Message 52 of 62
Yorx57

I've also noticed with SP2 that the badges have been removed!!!!! Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Message 53 of 62
sgdunn
in reply to: i_am_bigjohnson

I've installed the updates and it doesn't work for me...still having the issue.  It not only does it with the line command, but it also does it when trying to use the new 'lasso' function in making your selections.

Message 54 of 62
Yorx57
in reply to: sgdunn

Hit sgdunn,

Are you sure you have SP2 installed?? It fixed the issue for me, and from what others have been saying in this thread, it has fixed it for them also.

Message 55 of 62
sgdunn
in reply to: Yorx57

Positive, just double checked and I do have SP2 installed.

The Line command works, or at least seems to so far...however using the Lasso Fence Selection does not...

Message 56 of 62
i_am_bigjohnson
in reply to: sgdunn

I think using the Line Command in a ViewPoint like -1,-1,1 in a 3D UCS is where the majority of us were have issues. It would not allow a line in the direction the user wanted to go; but it did work using a PLINE. I am not sure about this Lasso Fence Selection you are speaking of. Have you submited a case to Autodesk about it?

I am very happy with the way mine is opperating since SP2...

-Rob

Message 57 of 62
rjkilgus

UCS control is very important for 3D in AutoCAD and it should only change when you want to change it not when you change view directions.

What worked for me was UCSORTHO needs to be set to 0.

This keeps the UCS I set until I change it, and I am utilizing 2015. Hope this helps others as I just spent an hour or so digging around looking for the solution.

Message 58 of 62
CADGuyBrian
in reply to: rjkilgus

Just wanted to confirm that many months later after this discussion the problem just began on a drawing I was working on with 2015.  The UCSORTHO variable change did not work for me.  LINE and LASSO usage caused visual cue to show improperly when in a changed UCS view.  If you go ahead and click anyway it works fine but I cannot see what I am doing correctly without the proper visual cue.  Can someone please give a reiteration of the current solution at the end of this thread?

Message 59 of 62

Have you installed the Service Packs 1 & 2 for AutoCAD 2015? If not do so first and try again...
Message 60 of 62
lovecraft
in reply to: i_am_bigjohnson

Yes, I believe installing the two service packs will solve it for you.

Good luck,

LC

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost