Did you mean: 

Polar Tracking Dynamic Input/distance display

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
joe79
10006 Views, 10 Replies

Polar Tracking Dynamic Input/distance display

I am new to AutoCAD 2015 and have previously used 2013. I use Polar tracking to draw and I used to be able to turn off Dynamic Input and still see a display of the approximate distance by the crosshair as I moved the mouse along the set up polar angles (45 degrees for example). I now can only see the approximate distance when I turn on Dynamic Input and I HATE Dynamic Input because it locks the crosshair in place as soon as I type and if I bump the mouse I have to escape out of the command to fix it. IT IS ANNOYING! 
Is there anyway to turn on the approximate distance display without turning on Dynamic Input as 2013 did?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
zalant
in reply to: joe79

In AutoCAD 2015, I'm seeing the prompt near the crosshair, even with Dynamic Input turned off.  See this screen capture:

Polar tracking in 2015.png

Be sure that you don't have ORTHO turned on, as it will automatically turn off Polar Tracking.

Zac Travis
Message 3 of 11
joe79
in reply to: zalant

As shown in the image below, Polar tracking is on, dynamic input is off and the distance display is not present. There almost has to be a system variable that controls this.

polar.jpg

Message 4 of 11
zalant

As a test, run the command to reset AutoCAD to its defaults.  That process includes the creation of a backup for your current settings.  You'll find the command in the AutoCAD folder on the Windows Start menu.  Agree to create the backup and specify a location, it will then reset, and launch the program into its default state.  Any system variables would be back to their out-of-the-box values.  Start out testing in a brand new drawing, created from the most basic template included with AutoCAD (acad.dwt), and see if the polar tracking display works for you as shown in the screen capture from my previous post.

Zac Travis
Message 5 of 11
nestly2

Tools > Options > Drafting > Display AutoTrack tooltip

AutoTrack Tooltip.jpg

Message 6 of 11
russell

Hello,

I'm having the same problem.  Unfortunately the "Display Autotrack tooltip" box is already checked.  There must be something else that also effects this setting.  Any ideas?

Using the reset autocad function does return the distance function.  However I use Autcad with Cadworx.  When I start my Cadworx profile it changes back again, so I still need to find the setting that controls this behaviour.  At the moment the only way I can get it to work is to turn on dynamic input.  In the past this wasn't necessary.

Cheers

Russell

Message 7 of 11
nestly2
in reply to: russell

Do you have either Polar Tracking, or Ortho enabled?

Message 8 of 11
russell
in reply to: nestly2

Polar tracking.

Cheers

Russell

Message 9 of 11
dfisher

F12 fixed it for me. None of the other settings did anything. Apparently, F12 "temporarily" turns it off...but unless you hit F12 again, it stays off. I think I hit F12 accidentally when typing a command.

Hope this fixes it!

Message 10 of 11
tringger1

Try this.

In the options menu, click on the drafting tab. There is a button for "Drafting tooltips settings".

In this menu there is an option for "Apply to:"

Click on "use settings only for Dynamic input tooltips"Tooltips.png

Message 11 of 11
lizyryan
in reply to: dfisher

Thank you! I dont understand how these F keys keep getting accidentally pressed But this fixed mine!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost