Polar array problem

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
GubianiA
4737 Views, 12 Replies

Polar array problem

Hi,
I'm having a problem using the new polar array command: I want to create a polar array of a block, setting the number of objects and the total angle to fill. I want the objects not to rotate (so I deactivated the option on the ribbon) but the result is not what I aspect to have. In fact, in this case the center of the objects pattern is not the same I gave when I started the command.

But there's another strange thing: if I create a new block, instead using the one I need, the problem disappear. I've already tried to recreate the block (exploding it and creating a new one with a different name), but the problem returns.

I tried to use the classic array command and in that case I have no problem.

I've attached a test drawing created to explain the problem, along with a screenshot of the problem. I'm using Autocad Mechanical 2014 on Windows 7 Professional.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
GrantsPirate
in reply to: GubianiA

I opened your drawing, picked the associative array, picked the Rotate Items on the Ribbon and they showed the way you want.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 3 of 13
GubianiA
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Yes, that's right, but the problem is that if I deactivate the "rotate objects" option (and this is what I need) it moves the center of the array.

Instead, if I use the array classic mode this doesn't happens, and the center of the array is the same either with the "rotate objects" activated or not.

The other strange thing is that if I use the new block (the rectangle on the left) the array works properly, but if I use the old block (on the right), also exploding and recreating it with a different name, the problem persists.

Message 4 of 13
Jigpig

I have exactly the same problem.

Lets say I want to array a tapped hole symbol, and I don't want the split in the outside diameter to rotate.

The centre distance of the holes moves, and it looks as though it is an accumulative error , ie the first hole on the pcd doesn't move off centre as much as the last hole.

I can't believe other people have picked up on this glitch and it's easy to produce. just draw a tapped hole, array on a pcd, but don't rotate the object.

Then in another area of the drawing draw the same tapped hole but when arraying it do not rotate the object. overlay the result of one on the other.

Check the distances....

Anybody any reason for this?

Message 5 of 13
rculp

Blocks are built around their insertion points and arraying blocks not rotated will place the block insertion point on the circular path.  If the insertion point for the block is not the center of the block then the components of the block will not follow the path of the array, but will ""appear"" to be on a different array center.

polar-array.PNG

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 6 of 13
GrantsPirate
in reply to: Jigpig

I got it to work by using the Base option and specifying the center of the small circle in the block along with the center of the array, of course.  Not sure why that is required but it seems to work when done that way.

Polar array, no rotate option, will find the center of the bounding box of the objects and use that as the base point, so you have to specify it instead.  No idea why it is different from classic, but probably a bug.  At least there is a work around.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 7 of 13
Jigpig
in reply to: rculp

Thanks for replying Randall,

I do get your drift, however, I am only trying to rotate what are basically 2 circles, one of which has a chunk missing out of the diameter.

I am not inserting these as items as blocks.

When I want to array tapped holes around my PCD and select "rotate object" they do not end up on the correct PCD, they are slightly out.

Now, I cannot be the only person who has this issue...it's impossible ...I'm not that unique

Message 8 of 13
rculp

Post a copy of the file.

From your description, it sounds like your hole isn't one the center of the polar array, and when you don't rotate the object that slight drift is magnified as the new objects are built slightly off center.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 9 of 13
GrantsPirate

I don't know why it treats objects differently than ARRAYCLASSIC but you can fix it after the fact with the base option, pick the center of the circle.  Or post array you can use the base option there as well.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Message 10 of 13
GubianiA

The solution of the Base Point option works well: you have just to click on the option after the array is built, than type K and select the center of the object(s) you want to use, and then right click to complete the command.

As you read some posts above I have your same problem and with this solution it works perfectly.

Message 11 of 13
GrantsPirate

@GubianiA wrote:

The solution of the Base Point option works well: you have just to click on the option after the array is built, than type K and select the center of the object(s) you want to use, and then right click to complete the command.

I don't know if you had a typo when you wrote "type K" but here it is 'B' for Base.  As I wrote you don't have to do this after the fact, you can specify the Base point during the command or change the Base point after the array is built.

Please mark the post as the Solution.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Message 12 of 13
Jigpig

Cheers guys, I'll go with the base point method and ignore the non-rotation of the items....Thanks for all of your help

All the best,

Message 13 of 13
GubianiA

You're right, but if you miss to select the base point during the creation of the array, and you decide to edit it later, if you press the Rotate button in the Array ribbon you need to specify K for Key point. Othewise AutoCad select automaticly the center of the contour of the object and it asks to select just the center of the array. So pressing K you can select also the center of the objectg you want to use.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost