Did you mean: 

Plotting a drawing file with a geographic location visible

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
reed6348
1638 Views, 6 Replies

Plotting a drawing file with a geographic location visible

I am having trouble figuring out how to show the geographic location image when I plot my drawing in AutoCAD C3D 2014. I want to print the drawing with my survey points, surfaces and the geographic location in the background. I have attached a file with which I have been attempting it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
entropist
in reply to: reed6348

Short answer - you can't.

Long answer - I can't imagine why autodesk released such a useless feature. It might look pretty on screen, but you can't print it even if you have a pro level bing license.

Message 3 of 7
reed6348
in reply to: entropist

Will C3D plot a google image?

Message 4 of 7
entropist

If you can go back to last year's version and use the project basecamp, then yes you can plot those images. Although there are legal limits, based on licensing. I use that feature often for preliminary and conceptual layouts.

Message 5 of 7
jggerth1

If you have C3d, then you also have Map3d, and the ability to use better, more accurate georeferenced imagery than either google or Bing can provide. 

the trick is to locate a source..... and that can depend on the project location.  If you are in Florida, it's pretty simple.  Other locations may have better or worse availability of quality aerials.

Message 6 of 7
Kathy-CAD
in reply to: jggerth1

Hello to all,

I searched in many forums for an answer how to print Arial image in the autodesk 2014 Version out of Geomap function.

I find nice approach, but no real solution.

Did anybody find out a solution on which way it is possibly to use an automatically georeferenced Arial image which is printable? Geomap function offers no solution at the moment, am I right? Or are there any ways of extra licensing the print Version like ESRI did?

Did anybody know a other source for getting georeferenced arial image which are printable, unless buying each Image at the Cadastral service.

Message 7 of 7
jggerth1
in reply to: Kathy-CAD

As it stands today, the geomap images are non-printable.

That's a Good Thing (TM), as the accuracy, precision, and reliability of Bing imagery is flat out not good enough for any design work.  Bing is great for very loose ideas, or looking at on a smartphone screen, but anything being done professionally _MANDATES_  better quality and more trustworthy imagery.

Google's a tad bit better, and there are resources out there that will let you embed and print google imagery into dwg files as georeferenced images.

The professional solution is to use professional resources for aerial imagery, and not bet the company on free stuff.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost