Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotters, changing to PDF and Object snaps....

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
OMICAD
395 Views, 4 Replies

Plotters, changing to PDF and Object snaps....

Anytime I set up a drawing to print I go to page set up manager, set the plotter or printer, size of paper, etc., anything pertinent to the plot.  I have titleblock templates, drawing templates, everything is standard.  I recently had to downgrade to AutoCAD 2014 from 2015 due to inner office compatability issues so I'm having to reset everything.  Yesterday, I went to plot a drawing I've plotted before but before the change and the plotter was set to none, when I went to select, it said driver has been deleted.  I was able to create a PDF then plot but thats not ideal of course.  I opened another drawing to plot, it went just fine.  I always print 1 first and check before printing the whole set, our plotter is archaic.  When I went in to replot on the drawing I just plotted, the plot device was again set to none, and for added fun, every plot device I chose, the driver was missing. I couldn't even convert to PDF. I shut AUtoCAD down, reopened everything was fine.  However my object snap then ceased to recognize intersections. Apparent or obvious.  Anybody ever had this happen before?  

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: OMICAD

Those are very random items for a single miracle cure to address.

1. When you select a new plotter, are you actively re-saving that choie with the APPLY TO LAYOUT button? required. Are you saving your file afterwards to remember the change? required.

2. Pathing: plotter setups are saved in each file in each tab, your system or program setups are ignored. So your file may still be looking for 2015 referenced content still. It's how AUtoCAD has always worked.

3. With all those template files you say you have, may I ask why you then spend time setting up a plot in a file from scratch? If your template files are set up for all your plotting needs as well, you can simply import saved pagesetups from the template file with PSETUPIN command. Try it.
Message 3 of 5
OMICAD
in reply to: pendean

#1 Yes and yes #2 The path was lost on a drawing that was open and had been plotted within the last 20 minutes. It was a single page print, very simple linework but again, our plotter is old so I always to a check print before I hit go on multiple d-size sheets. When I went to reprint, the plot device was set to none and I could not select the plotter I just used, nor any other printer in the building. Even if I didn't apply to layout then save the configuration, there is no reason I should not have been able to re-select the plotter. All said devices were working outside of CAD, I printed test pages from all. #3 I didn't word that correctly, I use my template file, plot files are included, I don't reset every time I do a drawing but every time I create a template. We use several paper sizes which go to different machines (not my doing). I'm not looking for a cure all, more curious if anyone has experienced the same problems.
Message 4 of 5
pendean
in reply to: OMICAD

NONE plotter selection appears for one primary reason only: in the session of AutoCAD you are using, the selection is not found in AUtoCAD's search paths.
The other les frequent possibility is that your plotter /server connection goes offline and takes down the driver too (hardware or server time-outs, ruled out by your other apps testing if you are correct with your testing methodology).

That's it. No other reason exists normally for the majority of AutoCAD users.

Tip: Any content/template files you created in 2015 will introduce problems for you in 2014. You need 2014 templates/settings/etc. for proper use in 2014 using paths identified in 2014's OPTIONS' Files tab section (which need to be cleared from any 2015 references).
Message 5 of 5
OMICAD
in reply to: pendean

#1 Yes and yes #2 The path was lost on a drawing that was open and had been
plotted within the last 20 minutes. It was a single page print, very
simple linework but again, our plotter is old so I always to a check print
before I hit go on multiple d-size sheets. When I went to reprint, the plot
device was set to none and I could not select the plotter I just used, nor
any other printer in the building. Even if I didn't apply to layout then
save the configuration, there is no reason I should not have been able to
re-select the plotter. All said devices were working outside of CAD, I
printed test pages from all. #3 I didn't word that correctly, I use my
template file, plot files are included, I don't reset every time I do a
drawing but every time I create a template. We use several paper sizes
which go to different machines (not my doing). I'm not looking for a cure
all, more curious if anyone has experienced the same problems.
--

Candida Tate

CAD Operator

OMI, Inc.

5151 Research Drive

Huntsville, Alabama

Office: 256-837-7664

Fax: 256-837-7677

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost