AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Distinguished Contributor
jest2525
Message 21 of 32 (211 Views)

Re: Perpendicular snap problems

07-15-2014 03:56 PM in reply to: scot-65

Which running osnaps get you to 559?  687?

If you turn off the running osnaps, then CTRL+right click to select the PER can you duplicate the glitch?

*Expert Elite*
nestly2
Message 22 of 32 (205 Views)

07-15-2014 04:13 PM in reply to: jest2525

jest2525 wrote:

Which running osnaps get you to 559?  687?

You can type OSMODE at the command line and set the numeric value there, then check your running OSnaps. :smileywink:

OSMODE.gif

jest2525
Message 23 of 32 (201 Views)

07-15-2014 04:24 PM in reply to: scot-65

Try this just for fun and see if you can replicate the gitch.  Set your osmode to 47.

Distinguished Mentor
steve216586
Message 24 of 32 (187 Views)

07-16-2014 06:50 AM in reply to: jest2525

My OSMODE is set to 119, same as nestly's. I have never seen any behavior with the PERP Osnap other than what is to be expected and intended.

I noticed the illustration grant posted. I believe either case is not a glitch but intended action. As I posted previously, HELP defines the osnap PERP action as it is intended for DRAWING A LINE. Not copying, moving or stretching a line or grip. Howerver, if your intention is to modify the position of an endpoint of a line and move a grip end point perpendicular to another object, I would expect it to only be moved perpendicular to where the end point was originally. I truly believe ADESK created a work around in the "fix" to placate to the users who had no idea how it should work but wanted it to move to the perpendicular point of the opposite end point.

The simple answer should have been to start your line in the desired location, then select PERP osnap and have it work as intended to achieve the results. Not to draw an arbitrary line, then decide you were in err and its end point should have be perpendicular to another object.

Of course, no matter what precautions are taken by the creators of any tool, it is impossible to stop some users from using a hammer to drive screws or a flashlight to drive nails. Or to simply just use enough drywall compound to hide the apparent lack of carpentry skills.

jest2525
Message 25 of 32 (174 Views)

07-16-2014 08:57 AM in reply to: steve216586

Agreed.

As I stated earlier it's not the "command" causing the glitch, it's the user's application of the "command".

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 26 of 32 (161 Views)

07-16-2014 12:10 PM in reply to: steve216586

I noticed the illustration grant posted. I believe either case is not a glitch but intended action.

It is intended action, my illustration was to show that Autodesk gave us both options.

As I posted previously, HELP defines the osnap PERP action as it is intended for DRAWING A LINE. Not copying, moving or stretching a line or grip.

So you believe that osnap perp was intended for drawing a line and nothing else?  Sorry but that is a very wrong conclusion.  If you aren't using perp for editing then you are cheating your employer by doing things the hard way.

Howerver, if your intention is to modify the position of an endpoint of a line and move a grip end point perpendicular to another object, I would expect it to only be moved perpendicular to where the end point was originally.

What do you mean, "moved to where the end point was originally"?  That makes no sense what so ever, grip stretching the line with perp doesn't extend the line, it pulls it in a perpendicular from the endpoint to the line.  The end point is sitting out away from the other line.  I would expect perp to bring the line perp to the other line.

I truly believe ADESK created a work around in the "fix" to placate to the users who had no idea how it should work but wanted it to move to the perpendicular point of the opposite end point.

No, they added both because some forward looking users saw a need for one or the other or both.

The simple answer should have been to start your line in the desired location, then select PERP osnap and have it work as intended to achieve the results. Not to draw an arbitrary line, then decide you were in err and its end point should have be perpendicular to another object.

That is a silly argument.  People rarely get it right the first time, that is why we have so many editing tools in the program.  

Of course, no matter what precautions are taken by the creators of any tool, it is impossible to stop some users from using a hammer to drive screws or a flashlight to drive nails. Or to simply just use enough drywall compound to hide the apparent lack of carpentry skills.

Another silly argument, there is nothing wrong with expecting perp to work the way that it does. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
Distinguished Mentor
steve216586
Message 27 of 32 (158 Views)

07-16-2014 12:49 PM in reply to: GrantsPirate

"Another silly argument, there is nothing wrong with expecting perp to work the way that it does."

This is what I've been saying the whole time. RIF.

Valued Contributor
j05h
Message 28 of 32 (147 Views)

07-16-2014 05:18 PM in reply to: GrantsPirate

So if HELP defines perp as being for the drawing of lines only why does it appear when moving or copying of something and is not perpendicular to the items i have selected?

Its not the application of perp i have a problem with, it works fine when i need it to, its when im trying to find any other osnap and perp overrides it even when it is not perpendicular to anything relevant with the command.

*Expert Elite*
nestly2
Message 29 of 32 (142 Views)

07-16-2014 06:38 PM in reply to: j05h

First of all, HELP does not say it's only for lines... it merely gives an example of how to use PERP OSnap which happens to use a LINE object in the example.  The example is not intended to exclude any other object or operation not explicitly include in the example.

Regarding PERP snapping to "nothing", or "nothing" relevant, I'd have to see a screenshot and the corrosponding dwg file to believe that's true.  I can easily replicate a condition where PERP "appears" to snap incorrectly, but it's not an AutoCAD error, it's due to differing elevations and/or an out-of-plane condition combined with a non-plan view of the controlling object.

Distinguished Mentor
steve216586
Message 30 of 32 (119 Views)

07-17-2014 06:15 AM in reply to: j05h

From HELP: "If several running object snaps are on, more than one object snap may be eligible at a given location."

It doesn't matter what command is active as to what Osnap will highlight. It only matters that you have a certain Osnap selected to the set of Running Osnaps and the criteria for that Osnap has been met, as to become active. It only makes sense that if you have CEN, PER, END & NEA all in the Running Osnap set that NEA will appear most often and if you don't have any arcs or circles, CEN will never appear.

Just because a restaurant has dog poop on the menu, and the waiter brings it to your table, doesn't mean you have to eat it. Nor that it would be good for you. Just sayin'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll post again from Help: Perpendicular

Snaps to a point perpendicular to an arc, circle, ellipse, elliptical arc, line, multiline, polyline, ray, region, solid, spline, or xline.

Deferred Perpendicular snap mode is automatically turned on when the object you are drawing requires that you complete more than one perpendicular snap. You can use a line, arc, circle, polyline, ray, xline, multiline, or 3D solid edge as an object from which to draw a perpendicular line. You can use Deferred Perpendicular to draw perpendicular lines between such objects. When the aperture box passes over a Deferred Perpendicular snap point, an AutoSnap tooltip and marker are displayed.

I don't see any mention of copy, move, array or stretch between "such objects". I see "to draw" and "to draw between" - (to and from) and only with drawing lines. Although I will not debate that it can be used for other commands. Using it in this manner just may be the reason, when used with other commands, some users are getting "glitches".  I happen to call them "user errors".

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.