AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Active Contributor
paszczak
Message 1 of 5 (1,063 Views)

Perpendicular Osnap not working correctly with closed polylines grips

1063 Views, 4 Replies
12-30-2012 05:09 AM

this is copy of my reply to post by:CadMonkeyJon under ACAD2012 forum: Well,

More than nine months later and new revision (ACAD13) and it is still not fixed.

Just found the same issue with my AC2013.

A bit of difference is that the polylines do not have to be even closed. Any polyline gives me exactly the described behaviour, which is definitely not intended.

Appears still not resolved.

Does anyone know if there is any fix to this issue available by now?

Original message by CadMonkeyJon was posted under ACAD2012 forum; below is its copy:

Perpendicular Osnap not working correctly with closed polylines grips

03-26-2012 09:06 AM

I'm finding that when I try to drag a closed polyline to be perpendicular to a line, it wants to snap to the next vertex instead (see attached jpg which explains it better than I can!).  It tends to only happen if the line I want to be perpendicular to doesn't extend to the perpendicular of the vertex I want to move.

I've only had this issue with AutoCAD 2012 and not with any previous issue.  Anyone else had this issue?

paul_s
Message 2 of 5 (999 Views)

e but Re: Perpendicular Osnap not working correctly with closed polylines grips

01-10-2013 07:08 AM in reply to: paszczak

I have the same issue but not all af the time.  I have raised a number of support requests but always get palmed off and no solution has emerged.

The work around I have to use is having both perpendicular switched off in the osnap settings and whenever I want a perpendicular snap I have to select it with the control-right click shortcut menu.

As this is such an intermittent problem it seems to be very low on the Autodesk list to fix.

Sorry I have been of so little help but you are not alone

Contributor
tims79
Message 3 of 5 (988 Views)

Re: Perpendicular Osnap not working correctly with closed polylines grips

01-10-2013 10:04 AM in reply to: paszczak

Try changing your OSNAPCOORD system variable.  I think you want it set on 2.  I had this problem yesterday.

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 4 of 5 (964 Views)

01-11-2013 07:20 AM in reply to: paszczak

The work around is to hit TAB until you get the perp you are after, or use stretch command rather than grip edit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
Product Support
Soyoung.H
Message 5 of 5 (945 Views)

01-16-2013 12:25 AM in reply to: paszczak

I talked to our development team and got an answer this is as designed behavior.

Please check this help document.

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2013/ENU/files/GUID-50383F73-4F23-4F70-B4FC-52D5748D80AF.htm

Perpendicular

Snaps to a point perpendicular to the selected geometric object.

Deferred Perpendicular snap mode is automatically turned on when the object you are drawing requires that you complete more than one perpendicular snap. You can use an object such as a line, arc, circle, polyline, ray, xline, multiline, or 3D solid edge as an object from which to draw a perpendicular line. You can use Deferred Perpendicular to draw perpendicular lines between such objects. When the aperture box passes over a Deferred Perpendicular snap point, an AutoSnap tooltip and marker are displayed.

But apparently many users including you have a hard time, so I will raised this issue to the wishlist.

Soyoung.H
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.