Did you mean: 

PDF background color

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
samrotella
43699 Views, 16 Replies

PDF background color

I have recently received Autocad 2014. For the first time today I imported a PDF and noticed that the background was not the usual white as in the previous version but totally transparent. Is there a way to toggle back and forth from white to transparent?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
pendean
in reply to: samrotella

How did you 'import' the PDF? Sounds like you turned on transparency in an image/OLE snapshot.
Message 3 of 17
samrotella
in reply to: pendean

Hi,

I brought the PDF in through the Insert/PDF underlay command. That's it and
the PDF came in transparent not with a white background as in my previous Autocad
version 2012. I don't really understand what is meant by 'image/OLE snapshot'.
Can I get the white background back for the PDF only?

Regards, Sam Rotella

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.
Message 4 of 17
kentr8

Did you insert as autocad entities?, don't just use microsoft excel worksheet

Message 5 of 17
samrotella
in reply to: kentr8

I was sent an e-mail with a PDF of an Autocad created drawing. I saved the PDF to my files
and then imported the PDF through Insert/PDF underlay.

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.
Message 6 of 17
kentr8

I'm not sure what you mean by insert/PDF underlay, but if you highlight your PDF from the email then in Autocad paste special there are some options there so depending what the pdf is play around with those

Message 7 of 17
jggerth1
in reply to: kentr8

The command is PDFATTACH, and it permits inserting a PDF as though it were an XREF file.  That avoids the many problems and limitations associated with OLE objects in Acad.

As for the OP, I suspect that the differences is whether the PDF is a vector or an image based PDF.  With a vector PDF, I generally ssee only the linework in the PDF, and the background is always transpoarent.  with an Image based PDG (a scan or somesuch) I would expect the white background.

AFAIK - there's no way to toggle between the visible effects - it's simply a factor in how the PDF was created.

Message 8 of 17
samrotella
in reply to: jggerth1

Thanks JGerth-You're great!
Message 9 of 17
MTANICELLO

Try Clipping the PDF (pdfclip)

I was having the same problem with a PDF I was attaching into CAD. I had 5 PDFs all exported the same way from Rhino, the first 4 came in perfect without a white background, 5th was giving me issues before I clipped the PDF.

Message 10 of 17
dpatel6
in reply to: jggerth1

PDFATTACH command worked great for me

Thanks

Message 11 of 17
User_2011

I have this issue from time to time:

I have many dwg files with PDF inserted underlay, (in, now, AutoCAD 2016), some time is white, some time is transparent, yes, doesn't matter anything.

I have 6 PDFs files underlay, all attached, detached and reattached as many times until all are transparent. I then unload them, save the dwg, close the dwg. 

Than when I reopen the dwg and reload any pdf, some time one, ore more are white and is nothing you can do to turn into transparent but detach and reattached again over and over again until you get it transparent.

I wish someone come here with a smart fix. 

Message 12 of 17
User_2011

Something more:

If I get a white pdf instead of transparent, I unload the pdf, save the dwg, close it.

Reopen dwg, reload the same pdf, now is transparent.

So, apparently, nothing is controlling this behavior.

Message 13 of 17
simmsd294
in reply to: User_2011

I have Autocad 2018.  

select the transparent pdf

pull up the properties

Under the heading "Underlay Adjust" change the setting for "Adjust colors for background" to "No".

you should now have a white background.  

Reverse is also true if you want transparent and have the white background showing.

hope that helps.

Message 14 of 17
CraigJD
in reply to: simmsd294

still an issue in 2022

We ran into this issue today, & seems to us to be program specific, not tied to the file itself.  My fellow user ran into the problem, sent me the file (PDF is full raster scan btw, no vector data) - I am able to toggle the "Adjust colors for background" and it works as intended.  I send the same file back again, and they are still unable to see anything but transparent on.  (all effected in a group of drawing we were attaching PDF scans to)

We tried the PDFAttach vs Drag'n drop it in - no difference.

Tried turning off Hardware acceleration in the system options - no difference.

Tried doing a full reboot in case memory low? - no difference.
Finally gave up, we could not figure out why it did not work on their system, but works just fine on mine.  Luckily this attachment is only a temporary necessity for file storage and will not hinder our work either way - I just like to know the why's of things, so I found this, thought I'd update with my findings.

Me:   Autocad 2018 & 2022 (both worked)
Other: Autocad 2018 (not working)

Message 15 of 17
A1
Community Visitor
in reply to: simmsd294

Thanks. This worked. 

Message 16 of 17
awhiteQ38RQ

When attaching a PDF using the external references manager it  automatically adjusts the underlay. If you click on your PDF and look at properties, you will see a group called Underlay Adjust, and then an option called Adjust Background colors. Set that to no and your PDF should appear normal.

awhiteQ38RQ_0-1698431942138.png

Message 17 of 17
jefferyAPH5H
in reply to: awhiteQ38RQ

Is there a setting to make this default to no?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost