Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC for AutoCAD 2014

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Liene_
556 Views, 8 Replies

PC for AutoCAD 2014

I will have AutoCAD 2014 on my PC at work soon. Now it's 2012.

The thing is - the PC ir very slow, I keep getting AutoCAD fatal error (out of memory - shutting down) when I'm trying to copy something from one drawing to another.

I know about the system requirements for AutoCAD 2014.

I have no idea what system board I have in there. RAM is too low, but can it be replaced by a higher one, if the system board is unknown?

Will the PC work better with AutoCAD2012 or 2014 when RAM will be 4 or 8GB? Please suggest me what else should be done!

System Properties:

WinXP Home Edition;

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz;

0.99GB (!) of RAM;

System board - unknown

I work with 2D drawings,

engineering design.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: Liene_

XP and your low end hardware all add up to a slow performance. You can't fix or upgrade that one to help.
Do you have the funds to buy a new PC?
Message 3 of 9
Liene_
in reply to: pendean

My employer probably will buy a new PC. But he needs a motive. I also don't know how much he would invest in a new PC.

Well, I don't need a super fast computer, but I want to work, not just wait for AutoCAD to respond.

What can you suggest?

Message 4 of 9
pendean

"motive" needs to come from you my friend, your employer is not going to listen to anyone else. Sit down and show them in person and explain it.

2014 will be slower on your PC than 2012, so don't install it: that's my suggestion.
Message 5 of 9
jggerth1

while Dean's right that the old PC is pretty underpowered,  you can check your existing system board out at www.crucial.com and see if it can take any more RAM.  There's a downloadable tool on thaeir site that you can run.

Message 6 of 9
Liene_

I'm supposed to find out if there's a chance to upgrade my PC and what exactly is needed.
If that is not possible, then I need to find out what kind of PC do I need. I mean, I don't need the best possible one, but I need a PC that works fine with AutoCAD 2014 2D. "Motivate" was maybe not the correct word. Well, I should explain what parameters I need for my PC, but I don't know much about computers.
In other words - I'd be very thankful if somebody helped me to understand what exactly do I need. 😄

Message 7 of 9
jggerth1

Fair enough

Your talkling Acad 2014, so you want to avoid windows 8/8.1.  that means a new PC that has Win 7.  You definitely want Win 7 64 bit, not 32 bit.

And with a 64 bit OS, that's a minumum of 8 Gb RAM, preferably 16.

Processor should be i7 or i5,  - if someone tries to sell you a Xeon processor, walk away.,  Acad is NOT multithreaded, so the extra cores (and more expensive RAM) used for xeon porocessors is mioney down the toilet.

Hard drive -- pretty much any spinning disk will be fine, figure 250 to 500 Gb space.  SSD drives are faster, and probably worth it.  Networking and audio are on the motherboard, so it doesn't matter.  wireless is nice if you can use it.

Graphics -- verify that what you get is on the supported list.

And really, if you want a nice machine, forget Dell.  Personally I've had much better luck buying boxes from XI Computers.  Heck at least their salepeople know how to spell CAD -- something Dell has trouble with.

www.xicomputer.com  and look at their single processor workstations.  (it's what I buy for the house)

Message 8 of 9
Liene_
in reply to: jggerth1

Thank you!

Message 9 of 9
braudpat

Hello Today very fast and modern Core i5/i7 Processors running at 3.4-4.0 Ghz + Turbo Mode offering +200Mhz ... +400 Mhz are the best and fastest solution for ACAD / Inventor / Revit / etc ... Please don't hesitate to get a lot of memory : 8 Gb is a MINIMUM ... but 16 Gb (or more) is much more adequate !
Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost