Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overkill opening polylines, mpedit creating overlapping lines?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
matthewgreig
2097 Views, 4 Replies

Overkill opening polylines, mpedit creating overlapping lines?

I'm having an issue with the linked drawing where using the Overkill command will find numerous overlapping segments to fix, but in the process opens the polylines up. If I then use Qselect to find the open lines, it finds the numerous ones Overkill just cleaned up. If I then use Mpedit to close them up, it apparently creates more overlapping lines for Overkill to clean up.

I'm trying to have this laser cut but can't seem to get a clean, fully closed drawing to submit to the cutter. Any ideas? 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/exx8o8ynco3w828/Combined%20Jeff%20Par%20and%20NOLA.dwg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
p_mcknight
in reply to: matthewgreig

It doesn't seem to have broken the polylines on mine.  I overkilled it (deleted 130 overlapping) and saved it.  Belowis the saved version from mine.  See if it is what you were expecting.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1A54CE5476A7AC6!87875&authkey=!APoS4WrifKDiBao&ithint=file%2c....

Let me know when you have the file as I will delete it from my storage.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
matthewgreig
in reply to: p_mcknight

I still have the same issue with your file. When I use QSELECT to find Polylines where "Closed" = "No," Autocad finds 1475 items. If I were to use MPEDIT to close them, it would create overlapping or extra elements. Thank you for taking a look, though. Very curious why it's doing this.

Alternatively, does anyone recommend another program to easily close the paths? I would import into Adobe Illustrator and export it as a .dwg, but that introduces its own set of problems. I just need something that will close the lines. Also, I don't exactly see how the lines are "open" - when I zoom in and highlight, I can't visually see a gap.

Message 4 of 5
p_mcknight

I see your issue.  I didn't re-overkill after I closed them.  The issue is in however whatever created the polylines.  When closed many create a zero length segment to close them which being zero length is deleted when overkill is run reopening the polylines.  I converted the open polys to regions and then ran a routine to explode the regions and create a closed poly from the segments.   This creates a good closed poly that doesn't get screwed up by the overkill.  There are still a handfull of parts that either are overlapping, intersecting, or only line segments that you will have to decide what to do with.  You can redraw a good poly over these by hand and delete the plain segments or do whatever.  They are all located 100 units down from the main map in its original location.  Below is the code for the region to poly as well as a link to the new drawing.  Hope this helps.

(defun c:closepoly ( / ent vlobj Marker tempSS )
  (setq count 0)
  (setq ent (entnext))
  (while ent
    (setq vlobj (vlax-ename->vla-object ent))
    (if (= "AcDbRegion" (vla-get-objectname vlobj))
      (progn
 (terpri)(princ "Processing region. ")
 (setq Marker (entlast))
 (command ".explode" ent)
 (setq tempSS (ssadd))
 (setq base (entnext Marker))
 (while
   (setq Marker (entnext Marker))
   (setq tempSS (ssadd Marker tempSS))
   )
 (command ".pedit" base "join" tempSS "" "")
 (terpri)(princ (itoa (setq count (1+ count))))(princ " regions joined. ")
 )
      )
    (setq ent (entnext ent))
    )
  (princ)
  )

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1A54CE5476A7AC6!87883&authkey=!AMLAzKD-q3KpxgM&ithint=file%2c....

Message 5 of 5
Murph_Map

Are they overlapping or does it just look that way? Sounds like you may have a visual style set to overlap or a video card issue. Select one of the "overlapping" plines and look in the property palette for the coordinates of the start and end points. Are they the same? 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost