Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTRACK won't snap to Intersection, but will snap to Perpendicular

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jamieq
8841 Views, 6 Replies

OTRACK won't snap to Intersection, but will snap to Perpendicular

Sometimes, when I am using the Object Snap Tracking to pick a point across from the object I've selected, I can't get the cursor to snap to a line using Intersection snap, however it will work if I use the Perpendicular snap. This doesn't happen on all objects. It can be two lines that are the same layer, neither in a block or reference, Z coordinates or 0, etc. Does anyone else see this peculiar behavior?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
nrz13
in reply to: jamieq

I've seen this issue with hatches in AutoCAD 2015, but it is a consistent, constant problem, not intermittent:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015/getting-osoptions-to-snap-to-intersections/m-p/...

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 3 of 7
nestly2

What you are describing is likely because the line you are attempting to snap an intersection to is not on the same plane being used for OTrack.  INTersect OSnap only works when there is an actual planar intersection.

To test, go ahead and snap perpendicular to the object that you can not snap to using OTracking an then look at the properties of the newly created line.... specifically look for a change in elevation (delta Z)

Message 4 of 7
jamieq
in reply to: nestly2

So I figured out what was wrong. Turns out the issue was that the objects weren't coplanar. However, the Z coordinate was showing as 0, which is strange. When I entered a 0, and tried again, it worked. So somehow some of my objects I was drawing and tracking from were just enough above or below zero so as to not register as anything else, but weren't actually zero. I've attached a clip of the drawing I'm working on. It's strange, indeed. 

Message 5 of 7
nestly2

If you use the UNITS command to change the drawing to decimal and increase the precision to 0.00000000, the Properties Palette will report the block in the upper right has a Z position of -.00000002  

Message 6 of 7
jamieq

That is crazy! Thanks for checking that. I didn't even consider precision. 

Message 7 of 7
Josh.Gilbert8H7SS

This worked for me.  Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost