Options Dialog Box and Misc. Settings:

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Drafter1981
3385 Views, 4 Replies

Options Dialog Box and Misc. Settings:

To All,

This is a question mainly geared towards the CAD Managers / software administrators or any other person that may knowledge of the “Options Dialog Box” and other miscellaneous AutoCAD settings.

Is there a set way to “override” the opening settings on AutoCAD (I’m using AutoCAD2014) without having to open the dialog box or change the linetype scales each and every time I open a drawing?

Example, any AutoCAD drawing we have, or open seems to default to a linetype scale of .25 (1/4). With the Options Dialog Box one of the things I get is the default setting of 100 for the “Display Resolution” in Arcs and Circle smoothness. Because I do a bunch of renderings, I raise my resolution over 10,000 to get a nice smooth Arc when creating a graphic.

This seems to be a problem and because of the high volume of drawings we generate for our customers and it seems to be a waste of time to be constantly opening drawings and resetting views due to the resolution or linetype scale being too low. On top of that, if one of my field tech’s is working on a file, goes to update the file for our customer the AutoCAD “Default” settings kick back in and now the drawing does not look correct anymore.

As usual any help or advice would be appreciated.

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Milt-Fitz
in reply to: Drafter1981

OH, BTW....this only seems to happen in the office (at my full-time position) so I should have posted this under milton.fitzgerald (my office / subscription I.D. ) instead of Drafter1981. Anyway just for the group to know, this does not appear to be a problem with my home / student version since I already used the "Setvar" control / command and edited my personal acad.pgp files.

Again, any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Message 3 of 5
pendean

LTSCALE in 0.25? That's a user setting, per file, you can change it by probably eliminating the startup routine your office has to set it or change the template you start with as there is no "default".
Or add your own startup to set it as you wish.
Same with the "arcs and cricles smoothness": variable is VIEWRES, set it to what you want in your startup. To find out the other variable names, tap HELP in the Options's Tab you are in and it should bring it up at that page.

You the user control all the variables: eitrher use a template or a startup routine (or a lisp you invoke when needed) to reset all 'defaults' you want. Talk with your CAD Manager at the office.

Why you don't see it at home may be because you are immune/isolated from the company startup routine at the office.

hope that helps.
Message 4 of 5
rkmcswain

@Drafter1981 wrote:

.....Example, any AutoCAD drawing we have, or open seems to default to a linetype scale of .25(1/4).

.....things I get is the default setting of 100 for the “Display Resolution” in Arcs and Circle smoothness. Because I do a bunch of renderings, I raise my resolution over 10,000 to get a nice smooth Arc when creating a graphic.

Both of those things are saved "in the drawing", so there is no reason to need to "set them" at drawing open time.

Having said that, I suppose it's possible that startup code does exist that is setting these values. After you open a drawng, run the "U" command until it won't let you anymore. Check those values again.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 5
Drafter1981
in reply to: pendean

Dean Saadallah and R.K. McSwain ,

Thank-you both for your help.

It does indeed look like this is a pre-loaded routine the company has deemed our standard. That being said, I am not allowed to override the settings even though our group works with the full version of AutoCAD, just like we have no control about which version to use, updates, or add-on’s.

It sort of makes sense why I can do more at home, even with a student version than I can in my office. With that in mind, it seems the only advantage to using the office version of AutoCAD is the licensing, (you are forced to go through the license server / manager).

As far as using the undo command at the beginning of opening a session of AutoCAD that works. It ultimately brings you to the last save settings, so if you save, and exit a drawing let say with a 96 scale factor (In the U.S.A. that is a 1/8th Inch or .125 Architecture units). When you re-open the drawing, the company standard settings are applied. So, simply type the “U” for undo until the command line states everything has been undone. I am now in the last saved state of AutoCAD (Linetype scales, zooms resolution etc., etc., etc..) and ready to go.

Thanks again!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost