Did you mean: 

OLE objects shifting in 2015

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ajohnson
1326 Views, 5 Replies

OLE objects shifting in 2015

I use an OLE object to place our stamp on drawings. I open the scanned image in irfanview, select all, copy (ctrl-C) and then paste (ctrl-V) it into the AutoCAD title block sheet which is xrefed into the AutoCAD sheet layouts.  On some 2015 sheets it comes in the right location but others it shifts. If I open the dwg file in AutoCAD 2014 it stays where it's supposed to be. Both are saved as AutoCAD 2013 version dwg files.

Any ideas what is going on here?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jggerth1
in reply to: ajohnson

OLE has had issues from day one.  You'll be happier if you save that image as a .png file, and insert that into your border.  Use the clipping tool in win7 or 8 to capture it and save as png.

png, not pnf

Message 3 of 6
ajohnson
in reply to: jggerth1

Because AFAIK, attaching a .png file (I assume you meant png, not pnf) means keeping another file around. If I use the OLE object, it is loaded into the drawing, not another reference.

Message 4 of 6
pendean

I can't replicate in 2014/2015 but I'm not using irfanview either: just simple basic Windows Paint.

I used the SELECT ALL option in Paint to select my image before PASTECLIP in AutoCAD 2015: pasting in a layout and modelspace showed no difference in 2014 or 2015. Let me know if I missed a procedure somewhere in order to replicate your problem.

Or post a DWG that looks fine in 2014 but shifts in 2015.
Message 5 of 6
ajohnson
in reply to: pendean

Try moving the OLE object in the reference drawing, and the refreshing it in the client drawing. It only happens in some files. See the attached images in the first post.

Message 6 of 6
ajohnson

From AutoDesk:

Thanks for attaching your files. We appear to have stumbled upon a previously unknown issue with the 2015 software, as I was easily able to reproduce the behavior, first using your files, and then using files which I created from scratch here.

At issue are two things:  the DWG file format of the XREF drawing, and the insertion point of the OLE object within the XREF drawing. If the XREF is saved into the 2004 DWG format (or newer), and then the XREF is reloaded within S-100, the problem is corrected. What is apparently happening is that the OLE object's insertion point in the XREF is being used as its location in the parent drawing, also, which is incorrect.

I have written up the issue and submitted it to Development for further research. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have many drawings like this, which are in the 2000 DWG format, you can use the DWGCONVERT command to quickly change them all to 2004 (or newer), which will clear up the problem.

I didn't realize the drawing file was saved as an AutoCAD 2000 format.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost