Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official Support for Sysprep's CopyProfile Feature?

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
loosus456
891 Views, 0 Replies

Official Support for Sysprep's CopyProfile Feature?

I work in the IT department of a community college.  Our instructors customize the crap out of Autodesk products, particularly AutoCAD.  They want toolbars in certain places, etc.

In the past, students used to use one generic profile on computers, so getting the settings the same on all computers was extremely easy.  We use DeepFreeze, so any changes students make are wiped out after reboot.

Now, students are required to login to the computers using their Active Directory credentials.  This obviously presents a problem, as every student will have his/her own profile.

So, I needed a way to get the settings in the "Default" Windows profile (C:\Users\Default).  I tried using Sysprep's CopyProfile setting in Sysprep's unattend.xml file, and that did not work.  After trying CopyProfile, when a student logged in to the computer and started AutoCAD, the secondary installer ran to give the student all default settings -- obviously not what I was shooting for.

However, I just read this article:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...

My understanding is that my problem lies in this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\Rxx.x\ACAD-xxxx:40x

According to the article, all references in this registry key to the previous username (i.e., the username that installed AutoCAD) needs to be changed to whatever user will be using the settings.  So, my plan is to have a script run at logon of every user that will quickly make this change for the user.  In other words, the script will do a search-and-replace on this registry key and all sub-keys.  Hopefully, by the time the student double-clicks the AutoCAD icon, the script will have run and completed the changes.

My questions:

1. Does anyone see any reason why this shouldn't work and/or cause unexpected issues in the future?  I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

2. Does Autodesk not officially support the CopyProfile feature?

3. If not, is there a method to submit this idea to Autodesk?  It would be an extremely easy fix that would save IT professionals a ton of time.  Assuming my idea works, supporting CopyProfile would only involve Autodesk storing the variable %AppData% in the registry keys rather than the more hard-coded "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming."

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost