Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Objects disappearing in Viewbase

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
aeschneider.tech
2366 Views, 10 Replies

Objects disappearing in Viewbase

This has happened in various files that I have been working on in my new job - I come back to a file that I have created (sometimes after a few hours, sometimes after a few days, sometimes after even longer) and some or all of the objects that I have selected for a Viewbase in paperspace have disappeared. I have tried going back and reselecting these objects, and they will not come back. Sometimes the viewbase is completely empty, so I can't go back and select anything. 

My co-workers and I have yet to find a good solution for these things. Sometimes if I copy the object and select the copy, that will work. 

It is particularly frustrating when edits need to be made, and sometimes I have to start a whole new file and redo multiple plates. 

I have run AUDIT on my file, and nothing shows up. 

Any thoughts?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

I have had similar issues in the past, and the only options I could find was to first do a save as with a new name. If that didn't work, I would copy and past everything into a new file. Probably not much help, but it worked for me.
Feeop
Message 3 of 11

Yeah, it fixes itself when you copy it into a new file. I just wish all the viewbases copied over into a new file. I'll try renaming the file and see if that works.

Message 4 of 11
cbuli
in reply to: aeschneider.tech

I have had success rebuilding my views in a rather unconventional way.  Turn off all used layers. Let the drawing views update. Then turn on one layer.  The missing parts should now show up in the updated view.  Repeat for as many layers as you have used.   I have had limited success with ViewUpdateAuto set to 0, however the best result has been from the single layer and update method.

Message 5 of 11

HI @aeschneider.tech,

I am so sorry to hear that you are having this issue. It is a documented bug. I will escalate your case so if you can attach some example files it would be most helpful for the team to work through the issue.

I have logged this issue with the development team for further investigation. Please do not hesitate to reply to this thread with any additional questions you may have in regard to this issue or any message that you want me to share with development that we haven’t already discussed.

You are also welcome to contact the product team directly. If you have additional comments specific to the software or its functionality for future consideration, please use the Product Feedback page. How to provide feedback on Autodesk products goes into more detail.

Another great option is to participate in the AutoCAD Customer Council. This is an opportunity for our customers to partner with the AutoCAD development team to improve future releases of AutoCAD by giving continuous feedback on ideas, designs, and early builds.
In order to get involved email autocad.beta@autodesk.com or autocad.lt.council@autodesk.com

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 11

HI @aeschneider.tech,

Try this to see if it fixes the issue for you. It isn't a fix for the bug but it appears to work properly for me.

• Turn OFF all used layers.
  • Update the views .
  • Then turn on one layer.  The missing parts should now show up in the updated view. 
  • Repeat for as many layers as you have used

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 11

Hi @aeschneider.tech@cbuli@FeeopEngr@john.vellek,

I created a lisp file that automates the workaround proposed by @cbuli @john.vellek 

Hope it helps all those suffering the same issue.. 🙂

(Tell me if any thing went wrong)

The lisp does the following:

- saves the current layer state..

- turns off all layers..

- Updates all viewports..

- For every layer:

- Freezes and offs every other layer..

- Updates all viewports

- Moves to the next layer

After finishing: It restores the layer state and removes it from saved layer states

+  Some error handling..

;;; 
;;; 
;;; 
;;; 
;;; This file was created by El-Shawadify to address an issue reported by Autodesk Community Members about ViewBase Command..
;;; The essue appears when opening a drawing that contains ViewBase ViewPorts, created in a different release of AutoCAD..
;;; Some of the objects disappear..
;;; 
;;; The issue was reported several times, icluding the ones mentioned in these threads:
;;; http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017/acad-2017-viewbase-error/td-p/6241719/page/2
;;; http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017/viewbase-not-generating-drawings-correctly/td-p/6401401
;;; 
;;; According to @cbuli @John Vellek in that thread:
;;; "This is a known bug but a Community clever user posted this workaround which appears to work properly for me.
;;; ---- Turn OFF all used layers.
;;; ---- Update the views .
;;; ---- Then turn on one layer.  The missing parts should now show up in the updated view. 
;;; ---- Repeat for as many layers as you have used"
;;; 
;;; 
;;; The purpose of this LISP now is to Automate this process for those suffering from the same essue 
;;; 
;;; 
;;;
;;; ==============================================================================================================================
;;; You may use, distribute, modify this file  - as long as you keep this header at the beginning..
;;; 
;;; Regards,
;;; El-Shawadify
;;; 
;;; June 24th, 2016
;;; 
;;; My Profile On AutoDesk Community Forum:
;;; http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/2780584
;;; The slution that I automated was originally proposed by @cbuli in Auodesk Community..
;;; His profile page in the community: 
;;; http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/3750495 
;;; - Thank you very much @cbuli..
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;
;====================================================================== Main Defun
;
(defun C:VBUP(/ CurLayerProps CurLayerName 
                *error* msg OriginalErr Err
             ); 
;
;====================================================================== Error Fuctions
;
(setq OriginalErr *error*)
(defun Err ( DimModErr)
   (command-s "-layer" "a" "r" "BeforeVBUpdate" "d" "BeforeVBUpdate" "" "")
   (command-s "undo" "end")
   (setvar "CMDECHO" 1)
   (princ (strcat "\nError: " DimModErr " The command was interrupted while Updating ViewBase ViewPorts, some elements may still be missing.."))
   (setq *error* OriginalErr)
)
(Setq *error* Err)
;
;
;
;====================================================================== Command Main Body
;
(Command "Undo" "Begin")
(setvar "CMDECHO" 0) 
(command "-layer" "a" "s" "BeforeVBUpdate" "" "" "")
(command "-layer" "off" "*" "y" "")
(command "ViewUpdate" "all")
;
;
(setq CurLayerProps (tblnext "LAYER" t))
(while CurLayerProps 
   (setq CurLayerName (cdr (cadr CurLayerProps))) 
   (command "-layer" "t" CurLayerName "on" CurLayerName "s" CurLayerName "f" "*" "off" "*" "y" "")
   (command "-layer" "on" CurLayerName "" "regen")
   (command "ViewUpdate" "all")
   (setq CurLayerProps (tblnext "LAYER"))
)
;====================================================================== Revert Env. Changes
;
   (command "-layer" "a" "r" "BeforeVBUpdate" "d" "BeforeVBUpdate" "" "")
   (setvar "CMDECHO" 1)
   (command "undo" "end")
   (setq *error* OriginalErr)
);
;====================================================================== Command End

Lisp Attached..

Enjoy 🙂

Regards..

Message 8 of 11
evrbic
in reply to: john.vellek

We have det same problem. Yesterday we worked in the model and today we are not able to find any objects in any views. When we create a schedule, the objects are visible but we are still not able to select and view them in views (plans, 3d-views and sections). Its really fustfrating.

Message 9 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: evrbic

Hi,

>> Yesterday we worked in the model and today we are not able to find any objects

Have you saved your BAK file before doing any saves with the current file? That could bring you to the state before the latest _SAVE of your drawing.

>> When we create a schedule,

Can you please show me that? I don't know how to create a "schedule" in AutoCAD, a screenshot is ok so I can see where you start that function...

(or do you have a vertical AutoCAD based product? If so, which one?)

What happens when you are in modelspace and press <CTRL><A> (to select all) ==> how many objects does the property window show then as selected?

If you can upload the drawing, we can try to play with it, maybe we find things like

• frozen layer
  • objects far away from each other, so ZOOM EXTENTS creates an empty screen

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 10 of 11
394-57150948
in reply to: john.vellek

After all these years why hasn't this been fixed. It is a real pain to have to go back and redo the viewbase. I use 2024 base Autocad. Viewbase is a very good tool, it reduces drawing time tremendously.

Thanks

Message 11 of 11
cadffm
in reply to: 394-57150948

Hi,

>>"why hasn't this been fixed"

Ask Autodesk.  (John isn't longer working for Adesk)

>>"It is a real pain to have to go back and redo the viewbase."

Pain & redo? So the solution(workaround) from above isn't working in your case?

It is just one click, a tiny pain, or?

- Sebastian -

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost