Did you mean: 

Object Enabler for 3rd party program

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
OBERDACKER
965 Views, 13 Replies

Object Enabler for 3rd party program

I have a file with proxy graphics in a block and I can not do anything with it.  I can't insert the block to a different file, I can't export the block to a new file, and if I explode it everything disapears.  In the "Proxy Graphics" alert box I see the following entry:  "Missing Application: CWRKMAIN".  So far I have not been successful in finding which application was used in creating the proxy graphics.  In a search of the Autodesk web sites and the intertubes I have not been able to find any concrete reference to "CWRKMAIN".  I have contacted the firm who sent the file to us, but they are notorious in taking a very long time responding to requests.  For all I know it's an internal to them program.  Any help in identifying which application could have been used to create these objects would be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dmfrazier
in reply to: OBERDACKER

CADWorx, CADWorks, CustomWorks?

What is the name of the block?

Do you know what the objects in the block represent, in terms of industry or discipline?

(These may provide a clue as to what CWRKMAIN stands for.)

Message 3 of 14
OBERDACKER
in reply to: dmfrazier

The name of the block is "C010_SHIP_SORT_2".  It shows a linear sorter and its induct conveyors.  Material Handling would probably be the best way to describe the industry.

Message 4 of 14
ampster402

is it possible for you to upload this file here so we can take a look?

When you describe exploding it and it disappears, that happens when exploding MDT 3D solids in a .dwg file.

Message 5 of 14
pendean

Download the free app ZOMBIEKILLER from the AutoCAD Exchange Apps store and remove the reference in your files. Works fine here for the same types of situations.
Message 6 of 14
OBERDACKER
in reply to: ampster402

I've attached the file in question.

Message 7 of 14
pendean

See attached.

Message 8 of 14
dmfrazier
in reply to: pendean

Did the OP want to remove the objects?  I must've missed that.

Message 9 of 14
pendean

Remove the Proxy reference. To quote the OP:
"... I can not do anything with it...."

Let the OP determine if the file I re-posted is of use or not. And whether they want to wait for the file originator to help or not.
Message 10 of 14
dgorsman

Do you know what version of AutoCAD this was originally done in?  Just a WAG, but I've heard there was a third-party basic parametric model tool for some earlier versions of AutoCAD before Inventor and MDT/Mechanical became popular/useful choices.  If thats true, its possible the reason why you can't find anything on it is the program wasn't kept up to date with the recent releases.  In which case: SOL.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 14
OBERDACKER

@dmfrazier wrote:

Did the OP want to remove the objects?  I must've missed that.

I want to keep the objects and that is the issue I am having.  If I explode the block they disappear.  I have no idea why.  And I don't know the program, or add on in which the original file was made.  I've emailed the person who sent it to us, but I have yet to hear back from them.

Message 12 of 14
OBERDACKER
in reply to: pendean

Dean,

The file you uploaded acts exactly the same as my original file.

Message 13 of 14
dmfrazier

"I want to keep the objects and that is the issue I am having."

Yes, I believe most of us were able to discern that (easily) from your original issue description, and it's not difficult to understand why you would not want to convert them into something completely useless.  (Might as well delete them, right?)

"If I explode the block they disappear.  I have no idea why."

The reason they "disappear" might be because that's the way the 3rd-party custom program wanted the objects to behave in the absence of their application.  It might also be due to poor programming (but I'm certainly no expert on that front).

Unfortunately, it looks like you may have to wait for a response from the source, but even if/when you get that, be prepared for the possibility that you will still not be abe to obtain any control over the objects.

You say your contact with the source was e-mail.  Can you call someone?  Have you tried getting someone higher up in your company to get in touch with someone higher up in that company to expedite the request for info/help with the drawing?

Another option would be to go to the website(s) of one (or more) of the products I suggested in my first response and see if they have any tech support links.

Message 14 of 14
OBERDACKER

UPDATE (PROBLEM SOLVED):

I was finally able to talk to the person who sent us the file we were having issues with.  His company had Autodesk create a add-on program specifically for them.  He said there are only three people at Autodesk who know anything about it.  (This is kind of scary, but it's not my problem).  He is going to check to see if Autodesk has created an object enabler for the program.  We'll see what comes of that.  

He was able to correct the issue and send us a new copy of the file.  Before they send out a file they need to convert all add-on objects into regular AutoCAD blocks.  In this particular case the original file they sent to us had these objects xrefed into it.  What they did was to convert the entire xreffed portion into one block.  When we would explode that one block all the individual objects would be add-on objects, which vinilla AutoCAD isn't able to handle.  To fix the issue he had to go back and convert each object from the xreffed file into an AutoCAD block and then save the file for us.  

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to try to help with my issue.  Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost