Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New linetype

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Sven-OleKrogh4103
576 Views, 4 Replies

New linetype

I want to generate a new LINETYPE in Autocad, as shown, but I can't seem to find a tool

I can do it manually, like to thin lines with a thick dashed line in between, but I would like it to be a standard linetype

I use 2014 LT but also 2014 standard.

But I need 3 lines in 1

Any other software that can do the trick?

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

These guys have it.
http://www.autodsys.com/alinelinetypes.html

Short of that,you could probably get something very close using a shape based linetype but you'll have trouble with it on curves.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 5

I can't seem to find the thread that asked for pretty much exactly the same thing a while back, but here are the components I came up with then of one way to do it.  The linetype is called OSCH, for Outlined Solid-Center Hidden.  It uses Shapes with and without the fill inside.  That fill is made of closely spaced lines, with the idea that the lineweight would make them appear solid, and you can redefine the shape to make them closer together if your line weight for the edges won't achieve that.  It uses several shapes per dash, overlapping a little, in order to work somewhat on curves, as illustrated in the attached image, and even there you can see that it doesn't quite close the gap on the outside edge of tigher curves.  You could narrow the shapes and use more of them per segment, and/or change the number per segment to affect the segment lengths relative to the width.

LinetypeSample.png

You could possibly also do the same with a text character such as a solid square in some Wingdings-like font.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 5
zootango
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Kent,

This is a lot like the linetype I currently have that creates the pipe as 1 object, but it also has the same issues

with the beginning and ending of the pipe having a visual gap.

Message 5 of 5
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: zootango

@zootango wrote:

This is a lot like the linetype I currently have that creates the pipe as 1 object, but it also has the same issues

with the beginning and ending of the pipe having a visual gap.

Unfortunately, there will always be "variations" at the ends of objects in non-continuous linetypes, if their overall length doesn't match up nicely with a multiple of the length of the linetype definition cycle.  AutoCAD can't draw a partial cycle of the linetype, but can only draw complete cycles, so it leaves the ends continuous or, as this linetype is defined, with a little zero-length bit that looks like a point at the ends.  There's nothing that can be done about that in a single object that's linetype-defined, if you still want to be able to do things like read the length of the object from Properties, or edit it with Stretch/Extend/Trim/Break/grip-dragging.  You could fake in fillers at the ends somehow, but that obviously has other disadvantages.  If you don't mind the actual width being slightly affected, you could fine-tune the linetype scale down to lots of decimal places to get the cycle multiple to match the length, but you'd need to do that over again if you edit the object and change its length.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost