AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Distinguished Contributor
omorah
Message 1 of 6 (653 Views)

Need Method Of Showing 3D Project To A Non AutoCADer - During The Project

653 Views, 5 Replies
08-23-2012 02:02 PM

I am in the process of using AutoCAD to prepare a building addition design concept and planning.  Just 'vanilla' AutoCAD.  I will be using the 3D and rendering in it.  Also, I will be starting the concept first with Google SketchUP, then to AutoCAD.

The friend I am doing this for is not have AutoCAD or graphics software experience, so my question here would be what/how would be the best method to communicate the graphics with him.  That is:

1.  I would like for him to be able to view and comment on the 3D image, rendering and other graphics. 

He does not have AutoCAD.

2.  Storage.  Any better method of storage with respect of he being able to view the project.  I was thinking on on-line storage method to do this.    Thinking the file might be large, the online thingy might not be practical (internet speed at about 325kbs).  I believe there is an AutoCAD 3D file format.

3.  The project will not be for construction (with details) just conceptual design project.

Thanks.

Contributor
robertstroz8845
Message 2 of 6 (649 Views)

Re: Need Method Of Showing 3D Project To A Non AutoCADer - During The Project

08-23-2012 02:44 PM in reply to: omorah

Export the 3d model to dwf format, and use the Navisworks Freedom.  It will allow you to walk through the project.

When you open up the software the first time, don't forget to change your file type to ".dwf" from ".nwf"(?)

Great visualization software

It should still be free (at least has been for the past ~7 years?). 

BTW, Navisworks Freedom is an AutoDesk product.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=11091608

Distinguished Contributor
omorah
Message 3 of 6 (638 Views)

08-23-2012 03:34 PM in reply to: omorah

Thanks for the info.  I am downloading the viewer at the moment.

I sure will give it a try.

Bye the way, any input on the file management and storage I mentioned in my previous post?

Thanks for your time.

*Expert Elite*
drjohn
Message 4 of 6 (636 Views)

08-23-2012 03:36 PM in reply to: omorah

http://www.gotomeeting.com/

Did animated graphics between Intel and myself and it works very well and rather smoothly (I have fiber optic inet at home where I did it from)

Free trial.  Try it between you and a friend to see if it will serve your needs.  I'm pretty sure you can do a printscreen or print what you need from either the host or remote station.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 5 of 6 (610 Views)

08-24-2012 05:08 AM in reply to: omorah

*.dwfx might be a solution.

(free) Autodesk Design Review if needed.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
robertstroz8845
Message 6 of 6 (595 Views)

08-24-2012 07:09 AM in reply to: omorah

If you mean what to expect for xrefs and file size, Exporting will bind all (not sure about unloaded xrefs, layers set to off and/ or frozen) objects, creates one file (I usually date them in reverse yyyy/mm/dd, so they auto arrange) and will reduce the overall size of the sum of xrefs in the original file.  So lets say your project files equals ~80mB, the dxf should be ~30mB.  I would assume that unlike autocad, the navisworks freedom will lean on the graphics card so final results may vary (disclaimer). 

File transfer?  Autodesk products: buzzsaw (just a suggestion as this is really a behemoth for project communications with a sizable vendor, client, partner... Audience with checks & balances), cloud 360? (does this link?), drop box, ftp, iCloud, etc...

Oh, and as JDmather mentioned, the Design Review is solid!  Like a PDF, but with more features, esp. the ablity to overlay 2 dwf (dwfx) files and will compare the highlighting the differences vs. similarities, not to mention the ablitly to place comments and if printed to scale, measurements too.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!