Did you mean: 

Need Icons Replicated in AutoCAD

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
melaniemcg
1217 Views, 10 Replies

Need Icons Replicated in AutoCAD

Anyone have any recommendations on someone who could replicate icons within AutoCAD? I have nice clean PNG Files that I need recreated within AutoCAD b/c of all the problems we're having trying to import them. Attached is an example of one of the icons we need replicated.

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: melaniemcg

I hope you are refering to a new tool icon. If so you need to the .png to .ico and then it will work.

First you need to do is srink the .png about 50%. I used Gimp. once that is dont, Upload the .png to www. convertico.org and then save the .ico file.

That is it. you are done. Not insert it into Autocad as the icon to a tool.

Message 3 of 11

what exactly do you need? at first i thought you needed custom buttons for ACAD toolbars / ribbons. then it seems like maybe you just want your raster to be vectorized in dwg format. is that correct?

I need .PNG or .TIF files converted to .DWG files or recreated as .DWG files.

We are redoing our emergency evacuation maps and hired out the design of our emergency icons. Unfortunately those round icons (created in Adobe Illustrator) are importing as squares into AutoCAD b/c it's not reading the transparent background. When we remove the transparent background through changing the properties of the PNG image it still leaves a border around the image. The only solution I know of is to simply construct these images within AutoCAD from scratch. Obviously we'd prefer another solution, but at this time I'm looking for either a fix or someone to recreate those images within AutoCAD.

Does that help clarify?

Message 5 of 11

it does help 🙂

if you have Illustrator, have you tried File > Export > .dwg?

Once the image files are referenced in the DWG file, have you tried turning the frames off?  And do you have access to Raster Design (should be a part of most suites)?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 11

Yes we sure have. It does a beautiful job of exporting them....but leaves a box around the image even when we change the image's properties to reflect a transparent background. 

Message 8 of 11

just delete the box in ACAD (you have to explode the block twice or so...)

i was able to get this from your png using image trace in AI (i also tried with InkScape, but IS doesn't output well for ACAD to import - someone else may know better though).

the key, i think, is to select the raster image in your AI file, go to Object > Image Trace > Make and then delete the raster from teh AI file leaving only your vector paths. then save as dwg and clean up as needed in ACAD.

If you have an iPad, you could use vectorize it. ChoOSE the PNG, vectorize it and it will produce you a nice DXF to use in AutoCAD.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/vectorize-it/id834082001?mt=8

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 11 of 11
melaniemcg

Thanks Everyone for your generous help! We tried a lot of this but thanks to a suggestion on another post, finally ended up changing the properties of the PNGS so it would recognize the background transparency. This took away the white/black space it was adding around the PNG files but left a frame. We then changed the frame to "0" thanks to another suggestion and that fixed everything, leaving only the PNG file showing.

Again, appreciate all your help!!Smiley Happy

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015/importing-drawings/m-p/5264727/highlight/false#...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost