Did you mean: 

MVSETUP Dilemma

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
rgorman
3149 Views, 8 Replies

MVSETUP Dilemma

64 bit 2015, Win 7

Running MVSETUP will cause Autocad to close/crash. No offer to save, etc... I have "Repaired", "Re-installed", etc... I have also made sure the path to the file mvsetup.lsp is in the support files. Running the lsp file directly doesn't help, either. This happens on all of the current machines with 2015 in my dept.

However, on my 32 bit backup machine running Win7 with the SAME basic Acad setup, MVSETUP runs perfectly fine.

Yes, I know I can "rotate the viewport" to create the same effect, but that is cumbersome and isn't always obvious when the viewport boundary is on a frozen layer.

Any help is appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jggerth
in reply to: rgorman

I probably haven't run that command this century, so I can't speak to that particular crash, but.....  I don't understand why one would put a vieport on a frozen layer.  It seems much more efficient to use a non-plot layer for the viewport.

Message 3 of 9
pendean

IS there a reason you all don't create templates to use for new drawings? MVSETUP back in the day may have been useful for occasional use but there are better solutions and options now.

I also recommend viewports on NOPLOT layers is the way to go if you don't have dozens of overlapping viewports in use in a single layout. Your choice.
Message 4 of 9
dgorsman

From memory, MVSETUP expects write access to the folder the LSP file is in.  Aside from that, there may be unexpected clashing with the TRUSTED security settings if they are in use.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 9
Murph_Map

From the lsp file:

;;; (The first time you invoke MVSETUP, you may notice a slight delay.
;;; This occurs because the routine is creating a default file of various
;;; title blocks and viewport layouts. If you should accidentally erase
;;; your default file, another will be created the next time you invoke
;;; MVSETUP. The file will be created in the directory specified by the
;;; AutoCAD system variable "ACADPREFIX". If you run AutoCAD from a
;;; directory other than that one, and the system variables ACAD or ACADCFG
;;; do not point to that directory, then MVSETUP will not be able to find
;;; it, and will create a new one in the directory pointed to by the first
;;; path found in the current setting of the AutoCAD system variable
;;; "ACADPREFIX".)

With 32 and 64 bits its two different paths to those files. Now when you check the ACADPREFIX var you may get quite a few paths. Try following them and make sure you and the individuhs have read/write rights to them. Or run the command as administrator first then as a regular user. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 9
rgorman
in reply to: pendean

Our main template file is basically one viewport, so at the time it was simpler just to freeze that layer so as to not confuse the in-duh-viduals about it's location. When and if I need multiples, I will swap to a no plot, unthawed layer.

When I attempted to run as Admin, I ran into the same issue I have when creating a deployment- NO NETWORK DRIVE access so it makes it tough to try and figure out if that's a problem.

In the meantime I just created a new Template file with a rotated viewport that will do the job when it's necessary to go that route. A bit of a workaround to be sure, but it even more annoying that it will work on the 32 and not the 64 with esentially the SAME overall setup

Message 7 of 9
jggerth

Well, remember that MVSetup.lsp dates back to 1990.  Unsuprising that a routine originally developed to run on a IBM DOS PC-AT class machine has 'issues' with Win7.

Given how much has changed in 24 years, might be a good time to educate your in-duh-vidual users with what the software can do in this century.

Message 8 of 9
jackshield
in reply to: jggerth

like question:

wasnt their a dialogue box that let you select "3d" with 4 vports and pick the view from dd box before creating viewports?

Message 9 of 9
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: jackshield

@Anonymous wrote:

like question:

wasnt their a dialogue box that let you select "3d" with 4 vports and pick the view from dd box before creating viewports?

That would be the VPORTS command

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost