Did you mean: 

Multiple visibility states in dynamic block

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
pjr.remmen
2345 Views, 4 Replies

Multiple visibility states in dynamic block

Hi all,

over the years i have gotten pretty handy with the use of autocad and especially dynamic blocks. Although currently i want to expand many blocks with refined usage. And for that i need multiple visibility states.. I have been roaming the web a couple days and found some very interesting stuff, especially on this forum;

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks/ootb-multiple-visibility-states-solution/td-p/4961288/p...

I have tried to figure out what has been done there, but i somehow can't figure it out precisly to get my block working as i want it to be. I just end up creating way to many visibility states...

My current problem block is about a pretty straightforward window sill. The main problem is that the sill has various thicknesses so i have created seperate blocks for them at the moment to keep them seperated. My general wish for the block would be the following;

Option 1: pulldown menu to choose the window sill "type" (there are 22 different "types")

Option 2: pulldown menu to choose if i like to see the end-cap (yes/no)

Option 3: pulldown menu to choose if i like to add anti-drumming foil (yes/no) 

To get this done i kinda ended up with 88 states... 4 states for each sill type.. And then i ended up with something i didnt wanted, 1 big bad long pulldown menu...

As i have roamed this and many diffent forums i think this should be way easyer...?

Many thanks in advance if you could advise me in this, i really want to get the hang on the multi visibility states cause i will be needing it for more blocks..

-Patrick

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
M_Hensley
in reply to: pjr.remmen

You can achieve what you want with some planning and several lookup tables. Turn off the grip on the visibility state paremeter and control everything with lookup tables. Here is a small block that uses lookup tables to control visibility states. It is one line of a hardware schedule that allows you to put check marks in certain boxes. In this one some of the tables are part a visibility state so they don't show up until you make a selection.

Message 3 of 5
pjr.remmen
in reply to: M_Hensley

Hello mr Hensley,

Ain't i still gonna need truckloads of vis states to get this working? 

-Patrick

Message 4 of 5
M_Hensley
in reply to: pjr.remmen

Yes, but when you turn off the grip they will be "behind the scenes" and the user will only see whats available in the lookup lists. Instead of one big list of visibilty states they see several lists of lookups. It will look like you have multiple visiblity states, but you're just splitting one big visibility list up into smaller lookup lists.

Message 5 of 5
pjr.remmen
in reply to: M_Hensley

I think i know what u mean, using vis states to turn on or off lookup listst. I gonna do some trial and error work and see if i can get it working with this info. 

For other or better ideas if they are over there i am open to them!

- Patrick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost