Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiline text Align auto numbering right

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
THart6
1825 Views, 13 Replies

Multiline text Align auto numbering right

What I'm looking for is auto numbering in multiline text with with aligning the number to the right.

In word you can create your own format, but this isn't possible in Acad as far as I know.

See here the auto numbering as I want it:

1. g
  2. g
  3. g
  4. g
  5. g
  6. g
  7. g
  8. g
  9. g
  10. g
  11. g

Someone here who knows the answer?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: THart6

4-4-2012_8-46-10_AM.png

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 14
THart6
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Hello TRogers,

That's autonumbering, but not autonumbering with alignment at the right.

The idea is to align the dots of the numbering

I want it like this (but for now it's all single line text)

good one.PNG

Message 4 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

I see.  You might be out of luck on that one.

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 14
THart6
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Hmmm I see my picture of post 1 was not placed as it was imaged in the text edittor here.

But btw, yeah, post 3 is wat I want.

I hope I've some luck left

Message 6 of 14
jggerth1

A Table with two columns would give you the result on paper, but would not be autonumbering.  

Possibly build the table in Excel and use data linking to bring it in?  Kludgy, I know.

Message 7 of 14
THart6
in reply to: jggerth1

Yes, that's an option

But it's for work and editting should be easy as well.

And if I have to choose between ugly alignment or difficult tables + changing numbers everytime my answer will be ugly alignment.

Now some colleagues always explode the multiline texts to align it Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 14
THart6

For your info, this is how it's done in word:

fsdvgf.png

Message 9 of 14
jggerth1

Yeah, but Acad is not a word processor.  For that matter, drafting annotation is not word processing (or desktop publishing) either.Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 14
THart6

So Autocad is still outdated Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 14
steve216586

The plain and simple fact is:

Lists have been a part of design work for centuries. Nine spaces to insert is not a deal breaker when using lists. You can insert them before the numbers 1-9 instead of after the ".", if that is the format you desire. Most designers use the normal convention for lists. Which has been around longer than what is supplied by auto-numbering. If it were normal protocol to do it any other way, it would be that way.

The possible solution of using a table is an alternative but as stated has its limitations too.

This may not be an answer you want to hear, but just sayin'. You wouldn't change the protocol for dimensioning would you? Maybe a designer feels the arrows should align along the extension lines, instead of the dimension lines? Just becasue you can explode a feature object and change the configuration doesn't always mean it would be good paractice or correct?  😉  

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 12 of 14
THart6
in reply to: steve216586

It's all about taste.

Message 13 of 14
hwalker

There is another slight workaround, but you would have to put the numbers in yourself

When you first draw a Mtext box do you notice that L to the left of the box. That's your tab, you can drag it onto the ruler and a tabstop will appear there.

It can also be changed. click on it until you get the one which looks like an upside down T with a dot to the right. That is your decimal tab.

To put in your decimal number you first need to press tab then put in your number and you will note all the numbers line up on the decimal point.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 14 of 14
THart6
in reply to: hwalker

I tried that one as well, it's a good alternative (don't forget to switch off numbering)

But still failure chances with wrong numbering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost