Did you mean: 

Moving layers in Autocad?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
13890 Views, 8 Replies

Moving layers in Autocad?

Hello! Is there any way to move the layers so that one would be in front/behind other layer like in Photoshop? I'd like to insert some blocks and some of them have to be in fron/behind the linework. Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

There's move to back/move to front.  In most cases drawings won't be dependent on order of display, so a screenshot would help to understand the requirement.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 9
pendean

Freeze all but the layer you want on top (or bottom), then select all objects on it and do so with DRAWORDER.
OR
You can also use QSELECT or FILTER commands to do the sorting for you so you don't have to freeze layers etc.
OR
You can also explore using the Express Tool CDORDER ro sort by color, if you draw with Layers with unique colors for each.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks, I've been playing with it for a while, it really works. 🙂

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

thanks a lot, ive just figured it out and it does work. 🙂
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

One more question, I know it might be a stupid question but I'd liek to know. Is it possible to change the draw order if the drawing is just lines, like a wireframe? I've been trying around different things and it doesn't really do the job. It seems that the lines, on the screen and printout still come up. Is it possible to apply this for wireframe or is it just possible for 3d objects?

Message 7 of 9
dmfrazier

"I know it might be a stupid question but..."

No, it's definitely a stupid question, but that's alright... Smiley Wink

I assume by "wire-frame" you are describing lines drawn to represent a 3-d object viewed from some angle (please pardon my "stupidity" if I've misunderstood).

If so, lines would generally only intersect at single points, so the draworder would not have much effect.  AutoCAD does not "know" that these lines represent profiles or edges of surfaces.

To get the 3-d behavior, ya gotta draw 3-d solids, etc. 

Message 8 of 9
pendean

Select one line, right-click and select the option called SELECTSIMILAR: do as you wish with DRAWORDER command while they are all hightlighted (2D only).

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dmfrazier

🙂 thank you, I feel more enlightened now

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost