Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More than one drawing open... Do not retain their names.

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
fastdesignservices
632 Views, 15 Replies

More than one drawing open... Do not retain their names.

AutoCAD 2014, 64 bit.  When i open a dwg, all is well.  When i open a second drawing it does not open with its own name.  It comes in as Drawing1.dwg or Drawing2.dwg and so on as open other drawings. 

So if I make any changes to the subsequent drawings, I have to do a saveas for each.  Why is this?  Why doesn't my drawing come in under it's own name so i can do a qsave and move on?

Thanks!

Jenn

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

i think that this case happen if only you make a new CAD drawing by using Ctrl+n which mean that you start a new one.BUT by opening an existing drawing appeared with other name ... this is weird.

Message 3 of 16
Message 4 of 16

Just to give you more information...

This has actually been going on for more than a year now.  I installed 2014 on a Windows 7 Home platform 4GB RAM. 

I thought upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate and giving the computer 8GB of RAM would help, but it has not. 

So this is the second time I've installed this program and had this same problem.

I open a drawing I'm working on and someone calls to ask question or make changes to another drawing. 

I open the second drawing by using the (+ Tab).  I'm not creating new drawings, just opening existing ones. 

Sometimes I make changes, sometimes I don't, but if I need to save anything, I have to do a SAVEAS because the susequent drawings

come in a Drawing 1... etc.

So I don't see this as a program installation issue.  Anyother ideas?  A setting I'm missing?

J

Message 5 of 16

Win7 Home: nice fast brisk OS.
Win7 Enterprise: resource hog equaly to AutoCAD.
Wish you had asked someone first before doing all of that.

To speed up AutoCAD performance, you needed to install 16G Ram or more, have a dedicated video card with it's own RAM, swapped out your slow drive to an SSD drive, and run it all on an Intel i5 or i7 processor clocked (or booster-enabled) at a speed of 3Ghz or better.

Reread the link I posted: there is no quick fix. Reinstall or creating a new WIndows User account may be what needs to happen next if you tried simply resetting AutoCAD 2014 first and it did nothing http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...
Message 6 of 16

I'm using 2014 here as well, using the + tab will result in the behavior you are describing. I think it's programed for new drawings so even if you open a dwg file instead of a dwt file, autocad see's it as a new drawing. I still use classic workspace so I just use the file to open new drawings. 

Message 7 of 16

fastdesignservices wrote:

I open a drawing I'm working on and someone calls to ask question or make changes to another drawing. 

I open the second drawing by using the (+ Tab).  I'm not creating new drawings, just opening existing ones. 

I'm curious how you are opening a specific drawing by using the + Tab button?  As far as I know, (left) clicking that button simply opens the template file specified for QNEW.

Add Drawing via Filetab.gif

Message 8 of 16
sthompson1021
in reply to: nestly2

If you change the "files of type" from dwt to dwg you can navigate to whatever drawing you are looking for.

Message 9 of 16
jggerth
in reply to: sthompson1021

So, the answer to the OPs issues, is to right click on the +Tab icon, select Open instead of the default New, and browse to the drawing he wants?

Message 10 of 16
sthompson1021
in reply to: jggerth

No, that still results in drawing 2 or 3... No matter whether you right click or left click it still brings up QNEW in the command line. I don't think you can change the behavior. That's why I said I use the file button to open a new dwg.

edit: I should have checked first. Right clicking and choosing open will let you open a dwg with the right name.

Message 11 of 16
nestly2
in reply to: jggerth

OK, I see it now.  If no template is specified for QNEW, then left clicking (+ Tab) causes a QNEW (Select Template) dialog to open, but the selected drawing is still considered a "new" drawing, thus the filename is not retained.  Right clicking > Open actually calls the _open command and the selected  drawing opens as a drawing, not as a template.   I never knew that before because I've never not had a template specified.

New Filetab.gif

Message 12 of 16
jggerth

interesting -- I;m trying it on C3d 2014, and right clicking gives me a choice of New, Open, Save All, & Close Al.  Using Open just open the drawing I select, not Drawing 2 or Drawing 3.

STARTUP sysvar is set to 0

Message 13 of 16

No big deal, upgrading my computer happens every year anyway.

I'll try the new Windows user thing.

OR

Not use the +Tab to open my drawings!

Lol, I guess I'll just open them from the top folder.

Thanks all.

Jenn

Message 14 of 16

I know we kind of got off track a little, but you can use the + tab. You just have to right click and choose open. Then the drawing should open with the right name.

Message 15 of 16
CAD_SNOOK

What about using the old-fashioned CTRL-O from the keyboard?  Is that passe?  CTRL-P, -S, -SHIFT-S helps keep my left hand busy...:-)

Message 16 of 16

What?  Remove my hand from the mouse!  Unheard of!  Lol. 

For me,using the top folder icon and not using the TABs, is working best.

Thanks!
jenn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost