AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

greg2
Message 1 of 4 (3,974 Views)

Modify layout viewport boundries?

3974 Views, 3 Replies
11-09-2012 06:23 AM

There is a default viewport in Layout1. How can I reposition and resize it on the paper? It would also be sufficient if I could delete it--how do I do that? (then I could create one that fit my needs)

Also, I noticed a post where someone mentioned he did all his work in Layout view. Briefly, what are disadvantages of not using Model view?

Valued Contributor
Rick-K
Message 2 of 4 (3,967 Views)

Re: Modify layout viewport boundries?

11-09-2012 07:16 AM in reply to: greg2

The default viewport option can be turned on/off in the options dialog/ display tab / lower left corner checkbox.

To change the size of the viewport just pick it and use the grips to change the size. Or select it and move it / delete it etc just like anything else.

The advantage of using a layout view is for printing. (I'm sure others can explain this better)

Place your title block in the layouts at 1-1 scale.

Create viewports (holes in the paper) to see into model space. Scale the holes to the scale you want for your model drawings.

The advantage is you can have many scales on the paper without "physically" scaling drawings up or down allowing you to always draw things at 1-1 scale because all of the scaling is taken care of in a layout.

The old way was to draw everything in model space and scale your titleblock so everything would be correct when you plotted it, you adjusted the scale factor at plot time.

And if you wanted drawings at a different scale on the same sheet you would insert them as blocks and scale them up or down depending on the scale your main drawing was, it was a real pain.

I hope this helps.

Rick

greg2
Message 3 of 4 (3,955 Views)

11-09-2012 09:48 AM in reply to: Rick-K

Aha, thanks. I was trying to find a way to resize it after having double-clicked on the viewport--which gives a thick border around the viewport, which I thought indicated it was selected. But a single-click does that.

Valued Contributor
Rick-K
Message 4 of 4 (3,952 Views)

11-09-2012 09:53 AM in reply to: greg2

Ya, if you double click on it it lets you work through the viewport... zooming in and out then when you are done it zooms back to where it was when you started so it doesnt mess up your viewport scale..

Rick

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.