Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model disappears in Shade mode

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
anderson51
3395 Views, 6 Replies

Model disappears in Shade mode

What is the reasoning behind shade mode losing visibility of certain parts when activated? See attached.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: anderson51

Run the List command on anything that is disappearing.

What does List return as object type?

Is this all vanilla AutoCAD geometry or are are you using some 3rd party add-in?

My first thought is surface normals reversed.
Turning off Discard Back Faces might "fix" that problem as far as visualization.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
anderson51
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the response JD,

If I copy everthing into a new drawing all together (which I had already done before your response) it takes care of the issue. The solids in question were created by someone other than myself but I am sure its all vanilla autocad created. I will try your suggestion next time around.

Cheers!

Message 4 of 7
jennielowery

I'm not sure if this will relate to your issue, but sometimes I have problems with blocks disappearing after I explode them.

We create spaceplan's with fixtures that we sell.  One 4' section of shelving (in the form of a block from our library) may have "x" amount of shelves while the 2 sections beside it may have another amount.  So we often explode the blocks (well I usually run a lisp, but sometimes it is just as easy to explode the block).   I know some people freak about exploding blocks.  We never know how each block should look so we start with a generic and reconfigure it as many times as needed, and sometimes create completely new pieces from parts from other blocks in the drawing.

Sometimes though, when we explode a block (if we are in a shaded view, like conceptual or realistic view .. this never happens in 2D view, but that doens't mean the actual even tisn't taking place**) the block "appears" to disappear .. but in all factuality it is actually still there, it's just hidden.  To make it "re-appear" we will simply open another block, then close it and "voila" the missing block, or pieces of the block, reappear.

** now, I mentioned the blocks don't disappear when using 2D view .. but they really do.  Even though you can *see* them .. what you are actually seeing is just their "ghost" .. you won't notice the event has occurred until you go to print (unless you open another block between the time it disappeared and the time you print, then you won't know that it happened) and notice part of your drawing is missing.

I've not found anyone (online or via email with Autodesk) that can explain this phenomenon .. even when I've shown them a video of it.  But here is a way to check and see if this is happening to you too.

Message 5 of 7
jennielowery
in reply to: jennielowery

You thought I would post a video showing what I'm talking about .. I know that what I typed probably doesn't make sense; because theoretically it shouldn't be able to happen lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6cH3YXLTeI
Message 6 of 7
anderson51

Jennie,

Thank you for the reply and video. It appears the issues we are experiencing are related, but I am unable to re-create the problem at this time. Copying the objects to a new file seem to be a temporary fix for me. I will circle back around when it happens again.

Thanks,

Message 7 of 7
hockley91

Same thing just happened to me this morning.  However, I just tried to edit it and now the whole piece disappeared.  I can't find it! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost